Diving in Spain near Torrevieja ( between Alicante and Cartagena )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there!

I'm brand new to Scuba, still doing my Open Water Course with PADI in Dublin, Ireland.

However, I'm off to Torrevieja ( east coast of Spain, about 60km south of Alicante ) for a week in June, and I'd really love to try a dive over there, as I'm sure the vis and temperature will be a little better than Dublin Bay! :)

Can anyone recommend a good dive site / company near Torrevieja, especially one that has good English speakers ( my Spanish is terrible unfortunately ) and can handle beginners ( I'll only have a couple of Dives logged by then ). I'll have a car so a drive of an hour or two would be ok. Also, what certs ( medical / insurance etc. ) will I need to dive in Spain?

Thanks in advance!

J.

Hello Jason...I live a little further down the coast from Cartagena, although I haven´t dived around that area as yet ( planning a few club dives there this year )but you could try Andy at Antípodas Buceo...http://www.antipodasbuceo.com/flash.htm
I met him once last year, came across as a top bloke...hence the reason why I´m planning a few club dives with him this year ( He´s also from Ireland if thats any help ).
If you do fancy a trip a little bit further south, I´m about two hours from where you will be staying, however, thats at the speed I drive...and my driving has been compared to " Driving Miss Daisy "...
With regards medical cert´s, we pay 12€...A years insurance is 44€, for a week...around 8 - 10 €.
If you need anymore information, let me know and I´ll try and help out...

All the best.

Pete.

I went to the area in '93. Most of my divers were in Cabo de Palos. Dive shop was pretty good -- Islas Hormigas Club de Buceo (http://www.islashormigas.com/). I do remember that the spoke English. Shop did seem more oriented to the advanced diver. Dives I did with them were pretty deep wreck dives.

My last day, I did a dive with a group in Cartagena that I liked VERY much - Hesperides (http://www.hesperides.biz/). Extremely professional, very careful to make sure that everyone was doing something he/she was comfortable doing, etc. Have no idea whether they speak English but, based on my experience back then, can say that they'd be good for new divers.

Hal

Hi Jasonb,
This may be no help to you at all,but check out Denia and Javea for diving. I´ve just spent the last 5 months living in Valencia with my partner who is from there and he used to work in Denia for Deniamar(I think thats what they´re called) anyways.. the dives down there are beuatiful,Denia is a really nice place to dive,I haven´t dived in Javea,but Ive been told its real nice there too.
Failing that come up to Las Medes Islands in Cataluña,this is where I live normally,and here I work for La Sirena a Dive Centre,its amazing!!!
Good Luck with your Open Water!

Thanks everyone, keep the information coming! Unfortunately, all the websites seem to be Spanish only, but it gives me some ideas of where to look.

Had my first Open Water Dive today, in the lovely Irish Sea! Visibility was about 2m, and it was about 9 degrees C! But I'm still hooked... :)

J

Pete,

Thanks for that link, it's excellent. Have already found a Dive School about 5 minutes from where I'll be staying, and there's also a link to a Dive Club in Torrevieja who can help me choose a school as well. Thanks for your help!

J.

No prob´s Jason, I hope you have a fantastic time...Don´t forget to share your experiances with us when you return...I may use them myself.

All the best mate.

Pete.

Hi Jason, I'm living in Dublin an I wonder if you would like to tell me about your experience in doing a OWD in our friendly weather. I'm still figthing to convince me to do it here and not in lets say Italy or Spain. BR, Mike

Hi Mike!

As my instructor says, if you learn how to dive in Dublin, you'll never be disappointed diving anywhere else in the world! Had my first OWD in Sandycove on Saturday. It was 16 Degrees out in Dublin, and kids were paddling and playing on the beach. However, it was 9 Degrees in the water, and visibility was only about 2 metres! That said, it was my first dive, and I still loved it! Once you've got a decent 7mm wet suit ( with hood, gloves and boots ) you don't feel the water at all. And it's only April, it'll get better the more we get into summer.

Are you thinking of taking up Scuba, or just thinking of diving in Ireland for the first time?

J.

Back
Top Bottom