Insole Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinegarbiscuit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've decided to give the Fusion booties a chance, since the Evo rockboots aren't working out too well. Only thing is, is that the whole insole business is a bit confusing. I understand that the insoles are supposed to go inside the drycore sock, but the booties came with two insole-like "things": a soft black "conventional" insole and a matching hard, transparent plastic insole-shaped item. I have combed the netwebs for guidance, but so far, no luck. Any insights about what goes where (as Mae West said to the sailor)?

Glad you asked,
There are two ways you can do the install.

(This install is done on a table like surface)

1. Disconnect the ankle attachment of the outer skin of your suit.
2. Place the plastic insole down the leg of each foot and install the Fusion boot make sure the toe of the sock is to the front of the boot, and that the heal then attaches to the velcro at the back of the sock.
3.Attached the Fusion outer skin to the Fusion boot all away around the ankle.

(alternatively you may want to do the install while wearing the suit)

1.Place plastic insoles down each sock.
2. Jump into your suit
3.Detach and pull up the other skin around the ankles
4.Use the cardboard (found in the boot for transport) insert inside the boot at the back of the heel (like shoe horn) to keep the velcro from catching while putting your Fusion boot onto your foot.
5.Install fusion skin onto fusion boot.

Let us know if you have any questions or if any of this is unclear. If we may ask what issues did you run into with the EVO3 boots?

Oh, thanks! OK, so the plastic bit is what goes inside the drycore - good to know. May I ask - what about the black spongy insole component?

The Evo boots were fine - but unfortunately were two sizes too big. The Whites dealer suggested I buy them quite large in light of the additional exposure protection I need here in the Northeast, but even with two very thick pairs of socks and tight lacing, they were just too much. I also dislike the fact that I need a very large fin to accommodate the rockboots - I dive size L Jetfins when wet, but these babies needed an XXL Jetfin. After a week just spent diving in the caves, I've concluded that they're too big and cumbersome for me to dive comfortably for long periods. The boots in and of themselves are very nice, but I'm hoping that a better-sized and smaller profile Fusion bootie will be a better match - and enable me to wear a smaller size fin. Anything to avoid those massive XXLs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom