On vacation and "Aunt Flow" visits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChefMali

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:idk: Hi ladies,
I'm a new scuba-ling and not yet a diva at diving (I have my OWD). I've had some bad timing when planning my vacations and poof "aunt flow" visits (my period). Well now that I'm excited to try out some shore diving in Maui for vaca.I have this thought in my head- what if aunt flow visits. Has anyone one experienced getting your freakin' period while on vaca , and did you continue to dive?

I'm asking the Diving diva ladies if you would suggest diving while on period or is that a NO NO???:no:

I'd hate to waste my days staying on land to wait it out...Totally embarrassing and feeling like this is a stupid question, but I'm really curious?

Have a great day and thanks for reading this.

Wetsuit: Tampons - just remember to switch when you get out of the water.
Drysuit: Well... Not really a problem.

Wetsuit: Tampons - just remember to switch when you get out of the water.
Drysuit: Well... Not really a problem.

Thanks, I figured that... so the answer would be "yes" recommend to dive even when aunt flow comes. :banana: thanks.

Or..you could do what I do and send Aunty Flow on holidays while you are on yours - I take the pill to stop aunty flow arriving - see your doctor and explain why you would like the contraceptive pill if you are able to take it. And yes, tampons only.

My wife DMs for a living. Aunt Flow hasn't stopped her from making her living.....

Disclaimer: I'm not a woman

but

In the PADI OW elearning that I did recently they explicitly mentioned that it is OK to dive during this time. My pharmacist wife's response was "yeah, why would this even be an issue". I'm sure the question comes up a lot though.

Yep, throughout history men came up with a lot of superstitious nonsense about menstruation and women. Until the mid to late 1800's the connection between the periodic bleeding that occurred in women and ovulation or conception was not understood.

The taboo on bathing likely came from the concern that the blood would contaminate the water.

Yep, throughout history men came up with a lot of superstitious nonsense about menstruation and women. Until the mid to late 1800's the connection between the periodic bleeding that occurred in women and ovulation or conception was not understood.

The taboo on bathing likely came from the concern that the blood would contaminate the water.

Perhaps true. My uncle was a New England commercial fisherman. Since Mom and Gram wouldn't tell him when they had their menses, they were never allowed on the boat, for any reason.

Perhaps true. My uncle was a New England commercial fisherman. Since Mom and Gram wouldn't tell him when they had their menses, they were never allowed on the boat, for any reason.
Menstruating women would spoil meat, scare off game, turn wine to vinegar, rot fruit...

Then again some cultures thought the menstrual blood had medicinal properties and a potent ingredient in love potions!

It's more of a personal comfort thing. I have never had an issue. I may take ibuprofen to help minor cramp or prevent cramping prior to diving, but otherwise not an issue at all.
(Feel free to pm me if you have any personal questions.)

Back
Top Bottom