Mesh Backpack Gear Bag for Short People?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I tried this under the gear section and didn't get anywhere, so I thought I'd try the Woman's Forum .... since many of us are short!!! Has anyone found a good mesh backpack that's comfortable for short people? I'm only 5'4" and most of the bags I've tried hang too far down my back and whack my legs - especially when all my gear is wet. I tried the XS Scuba rolling mesh backpack - thinking that rolling it would be easier - but that was a bust - no balance when full, so impossible to roll comfortably. The duffles I've seen are all enormous, so I don't want to go down that road .... anyone have any good suggestions???

Well i'm a guy, and I have the AKona Mesh gear bag, I have the same problem at only 5'7. When I walk it actually bangs against the back of my legs making it hard to take a long walk with it on.

How about eh AKONA Backpacks? They are worn up on your back, not just hangin off a shoulder. They are not guite as handy to pack and unpack as a "watermelon bag" but they do carry the load well. We have 2.

Pete

I tried the Akona mesh backpack and got the same results, it hits me in the back of the legs. I am 5"3' and it drives me insane that I can't find a good gear bag that rides higher on my back so that my shoulders are taking the weight instead of my back. I have a really old US Divers backpack that i use that sits higher on my back, but I would really like a mesh one that isn't so heavy when it gets wet, so I am watching this thread with interest too.
Chocoholic

Nice to know I am not alone ..... and I swear after every dive trip that I will find a better bag, but so far - no luck!!! I wonder why they don't make the bags more like camping backpacks where the straps are attached at a lower point, so the bag sits much higher on your back ....:(

Are there any manufacturers out there listening?????

Well I have a thought for you, got to like a Hiking or Camping store, get a high capacity hiking pack without internal framing. They have them in primarily waterproof materlials that you don't have to worry about mold on. Then go ahead and add gromets for drainage, these will sit high on your back and certainly be comfortable for people of any height to walk in.

I've thought about that, but the ones that would be sturdy enough either costs a fortune, or a too specialized with compartments & such. And they're really meant to keep water out, so you'd have to put grommets all over the thing to get good drainage ... I've considered taking a mesh dive backpack and seeing if the straps could be moved and resewn ... but I thought maybe someone had already found one out there for sale that I hadn't spotted yet ....

Divers Direct had some really nice mesh bags (back pack style) I bought one in the kids section for my son and he is 4'9. Maybe go to the kids section and see what they have for you.

speargirl:
Divers Direct had some really nice mesh bags (back pack style) I bought one in the kids section for my son and he is 4'9. Maybe go to the kids section and see what they have for you.

Didn't know they made kids dive bags .... I'll have to take a look!

Well went & gave the kids section a look - no bags at all showing ...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom