• Don't Care

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Its a Little Much

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zmcdowe

Reaction score
www.diversmag.com

I've heard a lot of controversey over women in the new scuba publication, DIVERS Magazine. I really don't see the problem with it, since there's about thirty times less women in it than even Reader's Digest, but I want to know what other people think about it, since there's been so much hubub.

So lets rephrase....

Should pictures of women in bikinis be in Scuba Diving magazines?

(check out the link for the magazine if you haven't seen it yet)

I wouldn't buy the magazine for the diving and there are better magazines for pictures of girls.

The magazine seems to sensationalize diving and that cannot be good.

I think its hilarious that 14 people have voted on the poll, only 4 have posted (including the orig and myself) and the 'hell yes's' are way in the lead.

M

I don't see what the big deal is about women in bikini's, but if some may be offended and sales will drop because of it, well..... then don't.

But at the same time women buy the magazine so toss in some men in nice shorts.... but please no speedos! :wacko:

you mean to tell me you would turn down the opporunity to see the one and only O-ring in a speedo???

P.S. How'd the weekend date turn out???

I buy diving magazinse to read about diving - there are plenty of other magazines that showcase scantily clad women that you could buy too see them. But if they do I won’t care as long as they cover what the magazine is about.

Two cents.

I looked through the current issue and other than the "Local girl" feature I didnt see anything untoward. Now in the interest of Fair play I think they should also include a "Local Boy" feature. The Calgary Herald does that quite successfully with their sunshine girl/boy series. Hell Ive never been adverse to bare skin :) The "Skin" diving part was quite a draw for me heheh

Cherry

OK, I feel compelled to comment here. I have a couple of problems with this "rag" (I hesitate to call it a magazine). I actually bought the 1st issue of it, mostly because it had such an outrageous picture ont he cover that I thought it might be entertaining, but also because I have spent some time on Saipan and was interested in the article on diving there.

So, 1st of all, the bottom bit of text on the cover is "The Real World of Diving" puh-leeeeze. The articles were pretty much a joke. They had some great subject matter, but almost everything in the magazine fell short of what it should have been.

2nd of all, on page 13 is a picture of a divemaster working on a boat. The caption reads "Divemaster Liza Greenberg knows the ropes" The picture has zero visual interest, and, unless you read the caption, you would not know that it had anything to do with siving as it is a suggestive rear -view of a woman in a bikini. Not particularly offensive, but borderline. These types of shots appear with frequency throughout the magazine, it appears that they used them wherever they lacked printable material.

3rdly- the "Local Girls" section. They ask women (theoretically divers) to submit photos and bio's on themselves for inclusion. The Local Girl pctured in this issue is pictured topless in every photgraph. I find it intresting that while most of the magazine is devoted to testosterone ridden posturing with regard to technical diving, this section is complete fluff. Or should I say T&A? If they really wanted to give themselves credibilty, they should pick a woman diver and do a layout that actually has something to do with diving. I am not opoosed to the concept, but the delivery is crass and offensive.

In my (humble) opinion, this looks like a third rate diving magazine trying to make up the slack and sell issues by playing the T&A card. Frankly, I consider that an insult to all divers, male and female.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom