Women Divers Hall of Fame?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did not know such a thing existed until tonight when I signed onto eBay. I saw a few things up for charity auction and saw

WDHOF

I just thought I would let others know about it.

Dectek once bubbled...
I did not know such a thing existed until tonight when I signed onto eBay. I saw a few things up for charity auction and saw

WDHOF

I just thought I would let others who about it.

We had a club member, Joyce Hayward, honored with induction a couple of years ago. She's very instrumental to the long-running success of the Shipwreck & Scuba Festival held in Sandusky, OH each November, sponsored by our club.

My SCUBA insructor Ceil Connelly was inducted into the Womans Divers Hall of Fame in 2001. She was the best instructor! There is a memorial scholarship fund set up in her name if any one would like to contribute.

I think she might make a good candidate for nomination, but I don't know all that many details. She was the author of a very important study regarding safety for scientific diving, and she's done all kinds of research diving for many years. But that's about all I know. I'm pretty sure she'd meet the "must have been nationally recognized" requirement (my paraphrase) because of her research on safety for scientific diving, and I think she holds an official position in AAUS.

If anyone knows more about her, I'd love to hear about it.

Yes, the Women Divers Hall of Fame has some great divers, pioneers in a sport where men (often originating in the military) dominated early. I have had the pleasure of working with several like Mia Tegner, Sylvia Earle, and Lorraine Sadler. I also have a few dive buddies who should be nominated before too long.

Dr. Bill

We had a club member, Joyce Hayward, honored with induction a couple of years ago. She's very instrumental to the long-running success of the Shipwreck & Scuba Festival held in Sandusky, OH each November, sponsored by our club.

I know this is an OLD thread... but it seems an appropriate place to mention that we lost Joyce today to a 3 year long battle to Cancer. She was a mentor to many and will be sorely missed. Her kindness and perseverance knew no bounds!

Many of you know that I am a proud member of the inaugural class of the Women Divers Hall of Fame. Each year we organize a scholarship program to assist women (some for men too!) in their efforts to pursue underwater research and training opportunities.Patty Mortara and I, specifically sponsor The Women Divers Hall of Fame/Women Underwater Training Grant in Technical Diving, but, please have a look at the complete list of offerings at:
Women Divers Hall of Fame | Scholarships Summary Page
Applications are currently being accepted and the deadlines are pressing. If you know someone who may benefit from this program, please pass on the information. Those of us who have been in the industry for many years, know that this is the best way for us to invest in the future leaders in diving. Thanks, Jill Heinerth

Back
Top Bottom