Drysuits arent suppose to be figure hugging are they????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just completed my dry-suit speciality (yuck - i hate cold water!)
Anyhow, when I was getting into that lovely (horrid) drysuit it doesnt half squeeze on your hips. It fitted perfectly everywhere else other than my hips. It wasnt uncomfortable it was just a tad tighter than other areas!
I spoke to my instructor and she said it was normal cause us women arent considered when they produce dry-suits.
Is it true that drysuits are designed for men?
I know years ago there were drysuits on the market for women, but it was when diving was mainly dominated by men and only men so the demand for women drysuits wasnt so high. Is there anywhere that still designs drysuits for women?
-x-abby-x-

JoelW,
I checked out Oceanray. Very good prices. Where are they located?

They are out of Wilmington, NC. I should be getting mine this week. I looked into them a bit and they come across as a good operation and at the time it was harder to beat the price, they did 10% off during the month of December. I did not do a custom suit since my sizing works out real close to one of the standards. As a side note, their measurement range inside a particular size seems to be pretty narrow, so the suit fits a bit more snugly if you fall into one of the ranges.

They don't make a suit until it is ordered. This makes it a bit easier to have changes made. Though I did not have a custom done I did have some minor changes done, such as having a size 11 boot put on instead of the "fits 10-12" that are on a normal off the rack suit.

It will be interesting to see what the suit is like when it arrives.

JoelW

When I got my wet-suit I must have tried on about 12 wet-suits (and this was at the dive show in one of their tiny little compartment things so it was hot, sticky and difficult) but none of the normal sizes seemed to fit - I tried everything.
Are drysuit sizes similar because I ended up getting my wetsuit made to fit. Would it be wise for me to do the same with a drysuit?
The problem I have is that I am quite tall (5'8 1/2) but also quite slim (8-10) so there wasn't a size that fit me very well!

Anyway, any help would be much appriciated.
-x-abby-x-

Neoprene suits tend to fit a bit different than shells... so I'm presuming that you're talking about a neoprene suit?

My 1st drysuit was a older 1/4" neoprene Wardell (back entry). I don't recall it being any snugger on the hips than it was anywhere else. That being said, neoprene always seemed to me a bit harder to get in/out of; whether it was "wet" or "dry".

The Wardell wasn't custom-made. Rather it was a good deal on a suit that someone else ordered & "walked away from" their deposit. The only change I had to make to it was having the legs shortened.

Currently I use DUI 350 TLS trilaminate shell. It's a custom, self-donning suit (front diagonal entry). Needless to say, getting in/out of it is easier than the old Wardell.

Given the problems you talk about with regard to fit, you are much better getting yourself a custom suit. Initially it might cost a bit more, but if you take proper care of your suit, you'll have it for many years & it will have paid for itself in terms of comfort & ease of doffing/donning.

~SubMariner~

Just as a side note, I'm not out to push Oceanray. I would look at the manufacturer's, whichever one, size chart and see if you fit into one of the sizes. Then talk to a local dealer, if there is one, to try one on. Drysuits aren't supposed to fit like gloves, so a perfect fit is not as important as with a wetsuit. There are a number of drysuit manufacturers that will do a custom suit: White's, abyss, and Brooks come to mind.

The following link gives the site address and info on a lot of makers.

http://OfficialDiveGearPage.com/

JoelW

Thanks everyone for all in the info and advice on suits.
I will have to and find a dealer now - anyone know any dealers around the colchester, essex, england area!?
I am not near much water so they don't tend to open around me!

-x-abby-x-

Across the pond, that's a horse of a different color. One of magazines that I prefer to read is Diver, out of England. They have a pretty extensive dry suit product review list. At the end of the reviews the names of places to buy the suits are given. Most of the manufacturers' sites will give the address of local distributors as well.

http://www.divernet.com/gear/testindx.htm

JoelW

Do find a good fitting drysuit!

I have a Finnish Ursuit - also with fron entry. It is very good and comfortable. And here (Denmark) they are almost half price as compared to the DUI.

However, the boots are often to big for us girls. Also you will need room for a good thick undergarment. At least if you some time in the future are going to dive during winter. Here the water temp. at the moment is 4deg. C. That get a bit chilli after approximately one hour of slow finning.

But get one and you'll expand your diving season to the whole year. Especially if you also get good gloves.

DSAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom