Face break out diving Help please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joyinthewater

Registered
Reaction score
So I normally have very little acne problems but each time I've gone on a dive trip where I'm doing lots of diving over a few days, I break out badly after a couple days. I don't know what is causing it but I think it must be diving realated because its never happened on any other trip.
Last time I tried taking good moisturizers and trying to care for my skin well in between dives. Didn't seem to help much.
Has anyone else had a problem with this?
Anyone have ideas for a cure? :)
Thank you for sharing!
Joy

Not a woman but I find the saltwater actually gives my face a very nice tone (as confirmed by my girlfriend) after diving.

Could it be perhaps the material of your hood or mask?

This is what I have been explained by my dermatologist who is also a continuing student of mine and what he has noticed with this problem.

1. For salt water the salt for some can actually clog the facial pores creating the acne, then add sun to that it creates the redness and to the point of creating a sun burn further blocking the pores that create the sebum. Even though you may not develop a full on sun burn the sun will still cause an effect on some people.

2. If you are continuously applying sunblock to your face this will also block your sebum pores which create acne, some people need to use a different sunblock for the face which is more sensitive than one uses for the body. You need to find a good sun block that works for your face which you would be best to contact a dermatologist as they normally have various types and brands.

3. Moisturizing- this also applies the same as the sun block mentioned above as well as finding a sunblock with a good moisturizer.

4. Before applying sunblock/ moisturizer you need to ensure your face is cleansed very well with a good cleanser and stay away from those with the micro beads for some they tend to irritate the skin more, possibly block pores, and do not break down in the water (these are becoming band in certain areas of the US soon).

5. With cleansing your face you need to have very good clean water, the water used on most boats may not be clean enough (even though its potable) for one with a sensitive face, the water treating process may also have other substances added or missing which can effect ones sensitive face. So you may want to have water just for cleaning your face. This can also be the case for on-land facilities especially in foreign countries with water quality issues.

7. How much mildew is on your mask skirt, is it quite clean?
This could cause irritation to the pores of your skin?

8. Do you use a hood and is it cleaned often?
This could also result in the same as above, even the hood being clean could cause an irritation to the pores resulting in an acne break out.

I would still consult a dermatologist who can evaluate your skin better.

We use a small spray bottle with baby shampoo and water as our mask defog. After each dive I will spritz my face and rinse to get the salt off. We take large bottles of water with us on the boat, so clean water isn't an issue. If it is a larger boat with a shower available, I've been known to also spritz my hair, arms, and legs to clean up after we're done diving for the day :)

Thank you! Great info!
It has happened with or without a hood.
And with a new mask.
Probably the problem with all the salt water combined with sun screen I guess. Thanks for the helpful info!

---------- Post added January 29th, 2015 at 12:24 AM ----------

Great idea, thanks!

---------- Post added January 29th, 2015 at 12:25 AM ----------

I actually detest the taste of
carbonation so that one wouldn't be it for me.

good to know though!

Have you tried a clarisonic or something similar?

basically a face washing brush, clears pores right out

Whenever I've had my skin break out while on a dive trip, it was because I thought my skin was too sensitive to handle salt water all day plus cleaning with a cleanser. If you pick something gentle enough, it won't rub your skin raw if you use it in the morning and night (definitely nothing like a bar soap or a benzoyl peroxide scrub). Definitely don't stop your usual skincare routines while you're on a diving trip.

Another thing to consider is maybe it might be something in whatever they're using in the defog spray, or maybe something in your sunscreen if you're using any. I don't let the defog touch my skin directly (only once the ocean has splashed on the mask already), and I choose to wear a hat for sun protection.

Lastly it's strange, but both my mom and I have our skin break out when we eat oranges and I've never heard of that in anyone else. On a lot of dive boats, they serve oranges.. it's tempting, but I've got to abstain :( See if you're eating anything unusual to your diet on the dive trip that might be causing it.

Ive had good luck with fresh squeezed lemon juice on trouble areas before a dive and after (I use it every day actually) just lemon juice

What area of the face are you breaking out?

It could be that your hood is the culprit. If washing out thoroughly does not do the trick, then I would try a different hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom