What jewelry do you wear while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently went on a girls dive trip to Cozumel and I saw lots of jewelry during dives. One woman wore several rings - another wore dangly earrings - I was wearing a necklace that is completely hidden under my wetsuit, and also my wedding band. I was thinking about wearing a pair of silver earrings and my husband is giving me grief about them attracting barracuda or sharks. Partly he's pulling my leg, but I have read that shiny stuff can attract fish. But guess what? My D-rings are shiny too!

Opinions?

I wear post earrings that are rhinestones and sparkly. I've been face-to-face twice with barracudas and they took no notice. I don't wear any other jewelry while diving.

The only real problem is losing it. My brother-in-law lost his wedding band. My wife and I wear cheap "travel rings" to go diving.....and I lost mine and had to replace it! The problem is in the water your fingers shrink but the ring doesn't....

My wife takes her earrings off....partly so as not to lose them, partly so as not to snag them on a hood or mask strap, partly because of barracuda. Any one of those reasons is ample.

From Dangerous Creatures of the Sea, "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]To avoid them, don't wear shiny objects. They are attracted to shiny, reflective things that look like dinner."
DAN says in DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions, "Often barracuda demonstrate no fear of swimmers, and they are known to be attracted to brightly colored or shiny objects, irregular motions, surface splashing and any speared or tethered fish."
And for your casual reading (just when you thought it was safe to go back int he water...): Barracuda Attack: | Blogger.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I've been wearing earrings since weeks after birth (I think is a spaniard thing). Wear a watch in the left wrist and a small bracelet on the right, and also have small necklace. I only take those things off for X-rays, and the watch also goes off when I have to replace the battery.

Not once have any of these items have attracted any creature, I do get warnings from people about the shiny aspects of the items, i guess there are more things about me that counteract the attraction to the shiny objects.

I take my wedding ring off and my 11mm pyrex plugs out. Lobe, helix, nape, and nipple jewellery stays put.

This is kind of like someone asking, is it possible I might hit by lightning if I stand under a tree in a thunderstorm? Then lots of people give their personal experiences of NOT getting hit by lightning while standing under a tree. Does their experience make it safe?

For myself, I see no reason to expose any of my jewelry to chance of loss or salt water . . .or barracuda. Having been on a trip at a time a fellow jumped off a boat, but caught his wedding band on some rough edge on the boat and had his finger degloved of skin, is one incident enough to ensure I'll not be wearing any rings on the boat either. Dangly earrings? Whatever for?

Now all that said, if a guy wants to leave in his nipple rings, I'm willing to look them over, unless he has man boobs. Then it's a fashion faux pas whether he's diving or not.

I wear my engagement and wedding rings, mostly because the arthritis in my hands precludes their easy removal. I also wear my watch.

I do have an acquaintance who just underwent some serious reconstructive surgery to his hand from a barracuda bite. The theory was that the fish was after his brand-new wedding ring (he was on his honeymoon!).

Thumb ring. Has gone everywhere with me for the last 35 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom