Any female DMs or Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaotter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Call it a possible mid-life crisis or anything else but, I am seriously considering becoming a divemaster and/or instructor in order to change careers.

Has anyone had a female dive master or instructor? Did they feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male? Has anyone become a drive master or instructor and begun a career in diving?

Any feedback would be wonderful!!!

It doesn't sound like a midlife crisis to me. More like a realization that life is too short to spend it doing work you have no passion for.

I've had both female and male DMs, good ones and not-so-good-ones of both genders. I'd encourage you to get the best training possible, do lots of reading, get lots of experience--and go for it!

Go for it Scubaotter!

I started diving at 48 years old, and got my instructor at the wonderful age of 51!
You won't get rich but teaching scuba is a wonderful supplement!

scubaotter:
Has anyone had a female dive master or instructor? Did they feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male?

I did a Marine Biology course with a female instructor. We did the course then the daytime and night checkout dives. I don't think sex comes into it, just competence.

scubaotter:
Call it a possible mid-life crisis or anything else but, I am seriously considering becoming a divemaster and/or instructor in order to change careers.

Has anyone had a female dive master or instructor? Did they feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male? Has anyone become a drive master or instructor and begun a career in diving?

Any feedback would be wonderful!!!

Shannon,

The instructor that taught my PADI OW class and did the checkouts was a female. She was very patient and when you did good, she let you know as well. She is now a PADI MSDT ( Master Scuba Diver Trainer ).

I did my IDC ( Instructor Development Course ) with a female PADI Course Director. She and her sister and her brother own the dive shop I go to in Destin Florida.

As you can see, there are MANY females that have done the same thing you are now considering. I would echo the other opinions here and say go for it. Had it not been for the people that taught me to dive, and a fair number of them were women, I dare say I might not be an instructor today.

Good luck in your path!

Randy Cain
PADI OWSI/EFRI
DAN O2 Instructor

I work with two female DM's. Some of our students definitely seem to prefer working with a female and I believe that it helps our instructional team to have a mixed gender unit.

Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I have always had a passion for the underwater world but, I never really knew what direction to take. I recently went to Roatan and met a married couple that travel from place to place working as DMs and instructors. From that time forward and I have been trying to do as much research as possible on the different classes, schools, etc. I was concerned that being a woman might limit the options since I have only seen men in these types of positions to date.

If anyone else has any specific suggestions on teaching agencies, schools, courses, etc. I would be grateful.

L2GD - You are right - life is too short to stay in a job that does not make you happy.

Shannon first of all consider the DM as a stepping stone to instructor. I didn't spend much time as a DM and I suggest you don't either.

I know several very qualifed female instructors. I know some that aren't. Same holds true for males.

I see more female instructors in tropical locations. Makes me think I was born the wrong sex????

Hiring has far more to do with how you present yourself than your sex.

Our dive shop has four female instructors on a staff of twelve instructors. All of them worked in other fields prior to diving. Making such a change is the rule rather than the exception.

The agency you choose for your instructor training should be influenced by where you intend to work. Don't forget to tap into your skills from your current work when applying for a dive job. Everyone applying for a job as an instructor has the certification. The choice among applicants is often influenced by the other skills which can be brought to the table.

Shannon,

When my wife ,Nyhma, and I first started our OW course, she was very nervous. She didn't think she wanted to dive, but was afraid that she might be a liability to those around her.
As it turns out one of the DM's was female. My wife watched her closely and talked to her about her concerns. She reassured Nyhma and, as a result of this woman's teaching abilities and confidence, my wife became a competent and avid diver. And I'm proud to say; she just completed her own DM course and is helping spread those skills and that enthusiasm to others.
Male or female, a dive master is a role model to other divers.
Thats what counts. Be a good one.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom