Starting new work out routine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pink_fins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am 66 have arthritis and still want to dive. I have been going to our gym (3 times a week) doing machines, arms, back, legs etc. on a rotation basis during the week and then 15-20 min on the treadmill each time.

I am looking for some routine that would help with getting on boat. I have solved my problem with the quick release clips on my fins by using the fore arm gipper machine ( up to 7 lbs now ;-) ) so that is not a problem

any ideas?

I live in Northern WI so no diving till going to CCV in May and sure I can do shore dives. But boat dives are fun too
thanks
gail
ps I do swim 3 laps when I have my arthritis aerobic class.

Girl! You're still young :wink:

Believe it or not, try some Bikram yoga. Working out does increase muscle mass and strength, but yoga will help strength, as well as flexibility. Plus Bikram means it's in a heated room, so that definitely helps. Heat helps pain with many things. Swimming in a heated pool will help you also.
Also, supplements (preferably organic/natural). Also, check over the counter for Capsaicin Cream. It's similar in a way to icy hot, but will help with arthritis pains.

Now into a couple odder remedies: Acupuncture. You have to do it, but I swear on the $15 dollars I have in my pocket, It works. I have shoulder injuries and it helped me. It forces you to relax also, which is GREAT! :) Also, you can have e-STEM done (trascutaneous electrostimulation). It doesn't shock you, and it feels amazing. It's electrical impulses that go through your skin/muscles. It feels like little miniature tapping. It also tenses your muscles up, sending the currents through. When the time is up, your muscles no longer contract, and feel SOO much better. I hate being shocked, so trust me, its nothing that you feel like that. I went to my chiropractor & Physical therapist to do mine. Its so relaxing! Oh, and get a massage! :)

I hope I've helped! :)

Edit: the natural/organic supplements will be safer in your bloodstream than anything chemical, especially when diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom