BPW in tropical waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kari

New
Reaction score
Are there any women out there around 5'2", 112 lbs. diving with a BPW in tropical waters? How is it working out for you?

Thank you for your response Jenny. A lot of information there in your comments.

I asked because I am about to make my first sizeable new equipment purchase and, after considerable research, am strongly veering towards a BPW. I was able to try out a Dive Rite aluminum backplate and wing last weekend on a river dive wearing a 7mm wetsuit and weight belt. I had no trouble positioning under the water, although staying upright on the surface required a bit of effort as the wing did not seem to be secured (enough) to the backplate, and gave a bit.

The owner of the local dive shop where I live has been strongly discouraging me from purchasing a PBW. From my recollection of our conversations, he reasons that because of my build (5’2”, 112 lbs), the weight and position of the aluminum backplate (2.3 lbs I believe) would prohibit me from maintaining correct trim under warm waters without the 7mm wetsuit. Note: I have never been diving in warm water and have yet to try the PBW in the pool.

He also points out that I will have no use for this sort of specialized equipment, even for technical diving should I choose that route, because I will most likely never have a need for dual tanks (for which, he says, the backplate is designed). He suggests that my air consumption must be quite low due to my size and that I will likely be the limiting factor for bottom time between a buddy and myself (he is assuming here that I will always choose a buddy of larger build).

… just wanted to hear how the BPW was working out for someone of a similar physical size. I don't anticipate having the means to purchase additional equipment if the backplate doesn't work out for all of my diving scenarios.

Although I am not a woman this may be pertinent. I just (this season) switched to a BP/W against the recommendation of my LDS. They gave me all the same (some of the same) reasons as you. I found that I prefer to dive nothing but the BP/W. There are two main reasons for liking the BP/W, the lack of stuff in front of you like a jacket and the secure mounting of the tank (using an STA). For a while I have only been diving dry with lots of stuff on. I tried my S/S plate with a 5 mil wetsuit and found it to be slightly heavy although just as comfortable. So I now have an aluminum plate I am waiting to test out. Godd luck with your decision, I don't believe the BP/W will be a mistake.

Kari -

my GF is approximately your height and weight and she dives dry in Monterey with a BP/W with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Our BP/W was designed for use with single tanks.

Scuba Diving magazine recently did a review of several BP/W and concluded that they are good for recreational as well as technical divers. Among the reasons to go with a BP/W are stability, distribution of ballast, and increasing your trim.

I hope there would be no torubles in transitioning from use of a BP/W in cold to warm waters.

Kari:
Thank you for your response Jenny. A lot of information there in your comments.

I asked because I am about to make my first sizeable new equipment purchase and, after considerable research, am strongly veering towards a BPW. I was able to try out a Dive Rite aluminum backplate and wing last weekend on a river dive wearing a 7mm wetsuit and weight belt. I had no trouble positioning under the water, although staying upright on the surface required a bit of effort as the wing did not seem to be secured (enough) to the backplate, and gave a bit.

The owner of the local dive shop where I live has been strongly discouraging me from purchasing a PBW. From my recollection of our conversations, he reasons that because of my build (5’2”, 112 lbs), the weight and position of the aluminum backplate (2.3 lbs I believe) would prohibit me from maintaining correct trim under warm waters without the 7mm wetsuit. Note: I have never been diving in warm water and have yet to try the PBW in the pool.

He also points out that I will have no use for this sort of specialized equipment, even for technical diving should I choose that route, because I will most likely never have a need for dual tanks (for which, he says, the backplate is designed). He suggests that my air consumption must be quite low due to my size and that I will likely be the limiting factor for bottom time between a buddy and myself (he is assuming here that I will always choose a buddy of larger build).

… just wanted to hear how the BPW was working out for someone of a similar physical size. I don't anticipate having the means to purchase additional equipment if the backplate doesn't work out for all of my diving scenarios.

Kari,

Backplates are available from some manufacturers (including myself) in a range of sizes. Different materials also. We offer Stainless Steel, and a Hybrid Plastic and Stainless version. Aluminum Plates are also avaiable from some sources.

At 5'2, you are a candidate for a smaller plate. In tropical conditions, depending on exposure suit, and tank choice, you might well find the weight of a traditional Stainless plate is too much.

Keep in mind that most jacket BC's are positive even with no gas in the bladder. Foam pads, and air trapping nooks and cranies can make many jackets 3-5 lbs positive. Just take your current Jacket BC, empty the bladder and throw it in the pool. Add weight 'till it sinks.

This is weight you won't need with a BP&W. If you are calculating total weighting based on your current BC, you will likely be heavy.

Some of what your LDS told you is true. BP&W's were originally designed as a solution for mounting heavy doubles. Pretty much all single tank variants of this design are adaptations. How this "adaptation" is executed is one of the things that differentiates the various choices on the market today.

Good luck with your gear selection, let me know if I can answer any questions.

Regards,

Tobin

Kari:
The owner of the local dive shop where I live has been strongly discouraging me from purchasing a PBW. From my recollection of our conversations, he reasons that because of my build (5’2”, 112 lbs), the weight and position of the aluminum backplate (2.3 lbs I believe) would prohibit me from maintaining correct trim under warm waters without the 7mm wetsuit.

That's ridiculous. Also, BP's can be had in many sizes.

Kari:
He also points out that I will have no use for this sort of specialized equipment, even for technical diving should I choose that route, because I will most likely never have a need for dual tanks (for which, he says, the backplate is designed).

Also a load of BS. A BP * designed * for doubles?? Run far and run fast from this ignorance.

…
Kari:
just wanted to hear how the BPW was working out for someone of a similar physical size. I don't anticipate having the means to purchase additional equipment if the backplate doesn't work out for all of my diving scenarios.

My ex- girlfriend is 4'11, 92 lbs and was fine in a bp/w setup. In fact she is like a gymnast underwater with it.

I dive with plenty of women that are your size and use a backplate and wing in South Florida. They use anything from a 3 mil. all the way to a drysuit. There is no reason why you should avoid this system due to your size or thermal protection.

I'm 5'4", female, and I have about 200 dives on my BP/W, wet, dry, singles, doubles, warm cold. Different wings of course, but same BP and harness.

I absolutely love it. Doesn't ride up, very stable, very streamlined, the harness is adjusted specifically for you.

Take the plunge, you'll love it.

cool_hardware52:
Kari,

Backplates are available from some manufacturers (including myself) in a range of sizes. Different materials also. We offer Stainless Steel, and a Hybrid Plastic and Stainless version. Aluminum Plates are also avaiable from some sources.

Hmmm... the small Kydex/Stainless Hybrid Plate. Tobin, is that compatible with the Halcyon Eclipse? It wouldn't require an STA, correct?

I'm not sure if I would or would not like the flexibility of plastic over the rigidity of aluminum. Is there much of a difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom