Any Ladies using HP80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I posted a question about using shorter tanks in equipment forum but would like some input from other vertically challenged women.

Anyone using HP80's or possible 100's as a single tank, back mount option? Any trim issues?

Thanks,
Lisa

I am petite and I use HP 80's sometimes and they're awesome. The height is perfect, similar to the AL 63's I usually use. Trim is no issue whatsoever. I really can't lift HP 100's and don't feel I need them, so I don't use them. HP steel 80's are an excellent choice for petite women.

I've used both. No trim issues with either. They weigh about the same, I think; if there is a difference, I don't notice it in schlepping them around. I like the extra gas in the 100s.

If you're diving a backplate, you have a real risk of pinch flats with the really short tanks.

Thanks Ayisha and TSamdM. I am sold on the HP's. The LDS has 2 "like new" HP 80's with new hydro and viz for 200 each that I am going to take a look at next week. I can always upgrade to 100's if a good deal comes up.

TS&M, I've lifted Kelly's 100's and I could barely get them off the ground, but I can just manage HP 80's. I am weak though, so YMMV.

I've heard of the pinching with short tanks, but I have a short bp, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Perhaps because I put the BC as high as possible so the tank valve doesn't hit my head (on both an HP 80 and AL 63), the bottom of the wing is far away from the bottom of the tank.

I guess we have to always be conscious that the BC is high, but if you've hit your head on the valve a few times, you tend to be very conscious of it!

I am 5'1" and love my HP80's...I have three of them and even when tanks are included on all the local dive boats, I got to the effort to haul them to and fro when I'm wearing thicker wetsuits. It helps me trim off some of the extra lead needed.
My only pet peeve is getting full fills to at least 3400. A full tank of 80 c.ft. for me means I can complete 2 shallow reef dives with students on one tank instead of having to switch tanks (also means one less tank to refill).
I will sometimes ask for an HP 100 when I've got tons of neoprene, know I will only need 1 tank, just to eliminate a bunch of lead. It does feel heavy, but not really a big deal to get used too.

When the water is 84 deg and I am diving in a shorty or just a rashguard, then I don't mind the AL80s which is the standard tank here.

As for the weight of the tank, I grew up on AL80 and shifted to HP80s in SoCal to help with all the extra weighting required for cold water diving. After a few dives, it got easier to tote the tank around.
As TS&M stated, beware of pinching the bottom of the wings when setting down short tanks (the wings are longer than the tanks). DSS does make a tiny travel wing which fits these HP80s perfectly.

And then I started diving doubles, which I thought was overwhelming at first. First set was LP72s which now feel tiny, then AL80s got easy. It's still work to haul LP85s.

It's really about what you get used to. At first everything will feel different or difficult, but in short course will start to feel like the new norm.

I owned HP 80's until I moved to St Thomas. Didn't make sense to bring them down here. I really loved them. Love the size, less weight (none actually) in my BC pockets. No trim issues as others have said.

Thanks again to everyone that posted with suggestions. I went with a pair of HP 80's from my LDS. Didn't get to dive with them yet but the length is a perfect fit. Next dive will be Blue Heron Bridge in May to adjust weight and trim...

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom