Dealing with long hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhwang

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have long hair and I have been searching for different ways other women have found solutions to dealing with it. I've done the ponytail/braid with deep conditioner which did work but hair still got tangled under my hood. I've seen the hair glove and the hair wrapter which both look promising. Has anyone tried these? If so, what were your results?

I wear a do-rag to protect mine from getting tangled and caught in my mask. (Of course of my own design! :) I also use spray conditioner before and after every dive...I keep it in my dive bag. I even wear my do-rag under my hood. Visit my site if you like, Aquamentality and check them out. If you have any questions please let me know. I am trying to get the word out there to other women divers. These work really well for me, they are extremely well made and I never dive without it! Christa

+ 1 on the spray conditioner. Fill an emptied travel hair spray bottle. Of course, the ponytail braid thing.

I have mid-length hair and I use the 4 inch hair glove and extra elastics. I have used it for the past 4 yrs. It works but you need to have your ponytail tight otherwise the elastic slips down the tail along with the HG when everything is wet. Also if you already have broken hairs around your face the HG is not going to contain them. You also need to be careful of the other things going over your head. With my drysuit I make a ponytail on the top of my head, otherwise a low pony gets in the way of the neck seal. It may not be an issue donning the drysuit, but it is a pain trying to get it off and ultimately the added bulk of the pony gets pulled. I have a do-rag for the strays when I dive wet but it never stays on properly. My hooded vest does a pretty good job of containing the hair without any ties but that is only good for the first dive. If I pull the hood down then the hair goes all over.

It is the strays that need containment because they are the ones that get broken in the mask and drysuit seal. I'd love for some one to invent something for that!

I do a ponytail and then generally make a bun and use a barrette to hold it on the back of my head. My mask strap goes over the barrette -- and the two hold each other in place. (with or without a hood).

First off, I am a guy and I know what forum this is posted in. :)

I generally have the longest hair on the dive boat. I just use hair ties (and keep them tightly wrapped) and then pull my hood over them. i don't bother with conditioner and such prior to the dive. I don't try to brush my hair after a dive either, I wait until I am home and showered with proper shampoo and conditioner.

Yes, I look like a Yetti after the dive. :-(

I make a low ponytail and then braid the ponytail, so I have hair ties at both ends of the braid.

I wear two pigtails and a hood. If I was ocean diving, I would rinse and lightly condition between dives then rinse it off before getting back in water. My hair is pretty long and thick and the pigtails keep it from bunching up in the back.

Back
Top Bottom