What wetsuit to bring to Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j.tu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I tend to dive cold. I dove Hawaii and Bonaire with a 5mm hyperstretch and was really comfortable temperature-wise. I'm going to Yap and Palau in a week, and the water temperatures look a few (~4-5) degrees warmer than what I've dived before. Should I stick with my 5mm hyperstretch, or go down to a 3mm? My LDS advised towards the latter, but I'm curious what other people who dive cold think. Thanks!

I dive a 5mm when doing multiple dives on a Livaboard,even with 80-82 degree water. If you have a tendency towards getting cold and you're doing 3-4 dives a day, I'd take the 5ml.
I even add a thin hood at times.

Same here. People told me that I'd get hot in a 5 mm, but never did. I don't think you really can.

It really depends on the person - I seem to be really hot - so I dive Bonaire, Hawaii and Palau in my skin. The last couple of days in Palau I used my 3mm - mainly because I would get chilled on the boat ride back (not so much from the diving). If you are not doing a liveaboard make sure you bring something really warm for the boat ride back!! I was there late October of last year.

Palau is one of my fav places so enjoy!

Audrey

Thanks for all the advice! Any experience from those who've dived with a 5mm in both 80-82 and 84-86 water temps? It looks like it'll be more likely to be the latter (84-86F water temps), and I don't have a good sense of if that would actually become too hot.

For Palau & Truk, I use a 0.5mm full skinsuit with a 3mm hooded vest underneath, both for recreational & tech diving.

I think you'll be fine with a 3/2 mm full wetsuit with optional separate tropical hood.

If you're doing a land based dive op from Koror, the boat ride out & back is the only time I get wind-chilled especially in afternoon rough rain squalls--so recommend bring a light rain jacket or poncho to wear over your wetsuit.

Thanks again for all the opinions. On Palau I dove from a liveaboard skiff, so the boat rides weren't usually too long.

I ended up being most comfortable with a dive skin for the first 2-3 dives of the day, and a 3mm for the later dives of the day. I was really happy to have both the skin and 3mm.

I brought open heel fins but I think I might've been slightly happier with the full foot ones.

I love wearing a rash guard under my wet suit. Then on the ride back it drys off quickly and keeps the chill off a bit.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom