Hawaii in May... Which wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GingerSnaps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK ladies, I need your opinions more than the guys on this for sure. I know I'm not the only woman out there who gets significantly colder than the guys she dives with. My bf will wear a shorty unless he's diving in damn cold water where he dives dry. Pretty much nothing inbetween, and he doesn't understand how I can be so chilly all the time. Unfortunately, the majority of the opinions for how thick of a wetsuit to wear also come from guys.

I will be going to Hawaii in early May, and plan on doing a few days with multiple dives each day. I tend to get cold very easily on the ground and take what seems like forever to warm back up. As a baseline for my level of cold intolerance, I dive a 4/3 in Bonaire in August, and get cold enough by the third day to wear a lavacore vest underneath. I've taken to basking in the sun like a lizard between dives to just feel less chilled. I have an 8/7 semi-dry that I am more than willing to bring with me for the trip, but don't know if it would be overkill. I know that I will basically feel like I'm going to die in it on the surface, but if it means I'm toasty in the water, so be it. I don't want to spend a ton getting more wetsuits, and have the option of wearing my lavacore with the 4/3 and a 1.5mm over it, too. A dry-suit is a non-option, as I don't have one or the loot to drop on one right now.

So, for those of you who get cold... What have you worn in Hawaii in the spring, and how warm did you stay?

The last time I dove Hawaii was April 2008.. the shop that I went with only had shortys available to rent. I ended up wearing at least 2 and still froze during the dives. The dive guide I was with had a 5mm full suit and a hood. Now that I have a couple wetsuits of my own, I'd probably go with my 5mm suit for Hawaii. I think water temps were ~lower 70s then.

Given your options - I'd take the 4/3 and the 1.5. Dive the 4/3 and if you get cold, you can add the 1.5.. or you could dive both and if you're too warm, you can take a layer off for the next dive.

-Matt

Plan on the water temperature being between 73-75 degrees. I wear a 5mm full suit in April and usually use heat packs (Hot Snapz), and I'm still getting cold at the 30 minute mark. I've threatened many times to buy a dry suit for winter and spring diving in Maui! Bring your warm suit...you can peel it down during surface intervals but don't forget something warm to wear during surface intervals and not he way back to the ramp when you're boat diving.

Thanks Matt, but I don't think I've ever felt like I'm too warm on a dive lol.

DiveMaven, your reply pretty much had everything I needed to know. I will rarely get out of the water because I'm cold, buying tend to stop having a lot of fun too. Pictures stop, and I get much less observant. Sounds like I'll be taking the 8/7. It's gonna weigh a ton in my luggage and is such a pain to get in to, but toasty once it's on. I think that is a worthwhile trade off :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gingersnaps, Wow!!!! 8-7mm semi dry? This is what I dive in in Alaska! Have you considered a farmer john 5mm or full suit with a shorty vest? This may give you some flexibility if you find condition too warm. A hood is also a great idea to help stay warm. Good luck and have fun.

That time of the year the water temp will likely be 75-76 degs. Aug-Sept it's usually 80+. In May my wife would be wearing her 5mm with a vest and hood available in case she starts to get cold.

Hey Gingersnaps,

I have taught scuba off of Oahu and Maui, and by May its usually fairly warm outside so you should do alright warming up in between dives. That being said if you are doing between three to four dives in a day (five was my normal number there) you will be slower to warm up as the day progresses, there's not a whole lot you can do about it except a piping hot shower when you are done for the day, and drying off asap after you are done diving(this includes peeling off your wetsuit so the sun can warm you on your way back to the dock).
Expect the water to be anywhere from 72-80 degrees depending on where you are doing your dives, and I would suggest a 5mm full suit, perhaps using booties and gloves might also help, as you tend to lose up to forty percent of your body heat through your extremities.

May is a great time to go as it is the end of whale season, and you can usually hear them singing on every dive! Its a very cool experience. I hope this helps and I hope you have fun.

Kate

GingerSnaps, sounds like you better take your 8/7 if you get cold easy. You can always let water in if you get too warm, but not a lot to do if you get cold. I have a friend on Oahu and we always laugh at each other coz she's like you and gets cold easy. She's wearing a 7mm with a hooded vest and she says I'm crazy coz I'm just in my board shorts and BC.

75 degrees is still 8/7 for me. I've used it at that temp for shore dives in summer here when the water temp is 72-75. I melt on land, but am comfy in the water. Booties will have to happen because my feet get cold SOOO easy. I don't want to wear gloves, makes the camera a little more work, but I may have to wear at least reef gloves.

Daz, you and your friend sound just like my bf and I. Kinda jealous of you human infernos!!

And yes, I am that big of a weenie when it comes to being cold hahahah. :p

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 06:25 PM ----------

Hearing the whales would be AMAZING!!!!! Totally crossing my fingers hoping for them to still be around

Thank you for this thread, GingerSnaps! DH and I are also going to Hawaii (the Big Island and Oahu) in early May, and I get cold easily too! For example, in 78 degree water I'm most comfy in 3mm with a hood and gloves!
Sounds like I'll be packing along my 5mm semi-dry and the hooded vest, just in case.

There are few things in this world that feel better than a hot shower after a couple of dives!

Edited to add: in my profile pic we were in 80 degree water in dive "skins". DH was fine, and I was sore from shivering!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom