Female technical divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I really like doing real technical dives (rebreather, over 330ft depth, caves). Seems that woman not do such dives. Are there here any female technical divers?

I really like doing real technical dives (rebreather, over 330ft depth, caves). Seems that woman not do such dives. Are there here any female technical divers?
A local female tec instructor trainer recently did a 130m(400ft) ow CCR dive in Philippines.
Tip of the iceberg.

Hello Taliena. Glad you are asking the same question.

I know of at least 14 female CCR divers. Most stay in the 200 ft range but some of us venture much deeper (450 plus). 6 of us dive caves. Women tech divers are definitily in the minority at about 15% compared to 33% recreational.

My question was why? Is it the cost (i.e. is there really such a big income differential between male/female. Or, are women spending their money on other things than dive gear....). Is it weight issues (which is why I crossed from OC-tech to CCR). Is it because we are a minority on the tech boats. Is it interest. Is it because some of us are mothers.......

A lot of responses from an earlier post on this issue indicated that women went tech for the same reason as men. Yet, the ratio is different.

I am a cave diver & beginning to learn CCR for cave diving (maybe eventually some depth (trimix), but doubt it would be much over 300ft). Here in the Mid West, there are not very many female technical divers, but there are a few.

Dreamdive, I would guess that there are fewer % of women technical divers because of the increased degree of difficulty in executing the dives. I would say some of it is the weight issue. True there are CCR's out there, but most women see it as only an additional risk. Because most women are mothers, there is the tendency to avoid risky situations,.... basically to ensure their own safety for the good of the family. I am in no way saying this as a negative to those who do engage in technical diving,.... but rather just thinking how I would think most mothers who are offered the chance to engage in such activities. That said, I am single with no children, so am no real authority. I think most men get into these sports for the sense of adventure. Most women have no desire to pursue such interests,.... they are quite content with diving on the reef looking at the magnificent life around them. I would say on the average, most women are more risk adverse than men.

I am personally glad I've gotten into technical diving, it has opened up new worlds for me. For those that decide to engage in technical diving,... Explore on! For those that decide that it is not for them,.... There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. To each their own.

I was half a mile back in a cave today, does that count?

Im oc hypoxic certified. I like the planning, i dont mind the heavy gear, but locally we dont really have anything to see to make the risk worth it for me, theres some wrecks in the 160-200' range im comfortable doing. I have 2 children, 6 and 4, i did the hypoxic trimix last year because i wanted to. I weigh the dive objective to the risk. I would like to do cave, but with little kids, dive adventure travel isnt in my near future. My regular buddy whom i did the training with is a dad, kids the same age as mine, as does our instructor. I like the deep dives, but only if there is a reason, im not diving 250+ to look at sponges that i can see on air.
I'm open to trying a rb in the pool again (tried a inspiration - did not like it at all) but its not at all a burning desire to go rb, i just like trying new things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom