Date diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lidja

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I certified about 20 years ago (!?!) and have gone diving maybe 4 times since then. (My husband at the time was really not into it and it was just too difficult to work around that. Nine years ago he shifted roles and is now my Ex---Hallelujah!)

Anyway...

I just met a guy who is really into diving (has enough equipment to get a whole rig together for me to borrow) and we will have our second date later this week---diving.

I am very excited to find a buddy and get back in the water! But I'm also going to be a bundle of nerves trying to remember everything I learned in the refresher course I took last year, along with trying to adjust to unfamiliar equipment (Halcyon), and going to an unfamiliar location (about 3 hours away) with someone I just met. (Geez, as I write this I'm freaking myself out even more...hahaha...gulp.)

I could really use some moral support! Got any suggestions on how I can make this a great experience and not a complete disaster?

Lidja

Maybe I’m being overly alarmist because of a friend’s unfortunate experience a few years back but there are some red flags:

You just met him – this might not be as bad as it sounds if you know a lot about him from trusted friends

He’s putting kit together for you – without even a chance for you to try it locally in a pool first?

You’re traveling with this apparent stranger. Is it just the two of you?

And the simple fact that you’re nervous. Your instincts might be telling you something.

Consider being open with the guy about your reservations and explain that you want to first do a local equipment checkout with others present. His reaction to that, and how the checkout goes, should give you more data.

I am pretty cautious and adept at background checking and am satisfied this guy is "legit." (One of the few out there...) Thank you for bringing that up, though. I hadn't conveyed that important info in my original post.

I should probably also mention that I'm used to having guy friends (more than girlfriends, actually) because I love to ride my sportbike. (If you think diving is male-dominated, you should see how male-dominated motorcycling is! At least with diving, you find most guys have a touch of that beloved nerd gene which makes them much more interesting and not nearly as tough/macho/threatening...)

Good point about trying the equipment out in a pool first. I think I might suggest we do that before "the date."

:)

I actually did do a formal review in January because my daughter (finally) decided to get certified before leaving to teach in China. She wanted me to do the class with her. Our truly *fantastic* instructor put her through the paces while he made sure I followed along too.

(I'll be heading to Shanghai to visit her during the holidays---we are trying to decide where to dive while we're together there in Southeast Asia for a couple of weeks. w00t!)

BTW, I followed up on the suggestion to do a run-through with the equipment in a pool. That's now scheduled for tomorrow. Thanks for that suggestion knotical!!!

L

Some years ago I was in the same position--but with me being male and my "date" female. She had over 1000 dives and lots of gear, and I had maybe 25 dives, only some cheap newbie gear, and not been in the water for a year. I took a refresher and had to swallow my ego a bit on a couple of trips we took, but it worked out fine. Oh, we broke up eventually, but it was not due to diving incompatibility. I'm happily married to my dive buddy for life now :D

Good luck on your date. I'd just be honest with him about your inexperience, and be clear what your dive plan is. Don't feel like you need to impress him with daring feats of diving- dive safely, and worry about impressing later.

Oh, and when you surface, make sure to wipe your nose quickly when you remove your mask. Nothing ruins a date like a wad of snot.

Doing the equipment check in the pool in a couple of hours. Then diving tomorrow. w00t!

I'm actually really looking forward to this now instead of feeling so apprehensive. I think the guy may be quite relieved that I asked for this run-through, too (a good sign)!

Thanks to all who responded! (Oh, and thanks for the snot wad warning, too.)

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom