What BP/W for a petite diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In 2015 I'll be switching from a bcd to a BP/w.

I'm essentially just beginning my research. I've got to admit when I started diving in the late 1970's I used a style/type of bpw and a weight belt at that time. I had a very long surface interval and re-certified in 2008 and have over 200 dives of bcd experience in the last few years, but it's time for a change. I'm petite 5'3" 136 pounds and dive my steel 80 or 100hp's along with a drysuit and all the other necessary crap to keep me happy. I've had two shoulder surgeries on my right shoulder so I tend to keep an eye on how far I need to schlep my kit to the dive site on my back.

I do travel with all my gear sans weights and tank via airplane occasionally to California or Hawaii so weight is an issue and no thankyou, I won't rent anything.

Ladies....please let me have all your years of experience and advice!!

we put girls your size in standard bp/w's pretty regularly, but DSS might be the best place to go.
His small backplate size is designed for divers under 5'3", so you're right on the edge. If you have a short torso I'd go with that one, if you have a long torso I'd go with the medium size which is 5'3" to 6'0". It is worth a call to Tobin, he'll probably ask for the length of your back so may help to have that. The small plate is just under 4lbs for the SS, and the medium is just under 5lbs. He also has the kydex plates which should be around 2-3lbs for that size, but are essentially neutral in the water so you'll have to wear a weight belt.

I'm 5'1". I've got a short DSS kydex plate which I've used almost exclusively for over 4 years. I recently got the DSS short steel plate to use with my drysuit & winter wetsuit.
I think Dive Rite has a short Aluminum plate as well

oh, should also mention that if you want to have just one plate, for around $100, Tobin sells weight plates that bolt onto the backplate. For the small I think they're like 6.5lbs, and the medium size is somewhere around 8lbs.

I wouldn't recommend the DSS short plate for you, unless you have a very short torso and very long legs. I have a short Kydex plate, and the waist straps ride higher on my body than I'd like. Not a big issue with a single tank, but it is with doubles, where your freedom to adjust the shoulder straps is somewhat constrained.

The Halcyon small plate is a little longer, and has the shoulder slots closer together (which obviates the necessity of crossing the straps to prevent them from falling off) but it has no cambands slots, so you have to use an STA with it.

I wouldn't worry about having two setups, unless you want to spend the money. A SS plate and 30 - 35 pound single tank wing is perfectly functional in warm water. And by the time you have loaded exposure protection, regulators, lights, plate, wing, fins, etc. into a suitcase, the four pound difference in plate is not going to be noticeable.

I'm a regular waisted gal, not short--not long. I'm accumulating some questions here....essentially having not examined anyone's kit yet, it's sight-unseen of sorts.

Acronyms to learn: DSS and SS and
What is a Kydex plate?

How does the padding between brands seem on the shoulders--about the same or steer clear of a brand or two? I need that shoulder padding or I'll be stooping over in the parking lot to relieve my shoulder.

When someone gets their bpw configured nicely, about how much might it weigh?
ill only have one set-up too.

If anyone has some good YouTube vids, shoot those to me as well. I learn real fast!

The Halcyon small (14") or DSS small (13") bp should be fine for you, although you are on the cusp of each of them. You could go either way depending on whether your torso is proportionately longer or shorter.

I am much shorter than you and while the Halcyon small bp is slightly long for me, I find it's the elongated wing that I try in my setup to avoid hitting my head.

For a bp that's suitable for local as well as travel use, I find the Halcyon AL (1.8 lb) bp is great. For singles, I use it with a weighted (6 lb) STA (Single Tank Adapter) locally, and without the weight in the STA for air travel. The steel bp weighs 6 lbs.

If you can try various BP/W setups to see how they fit you, that would be recommended. If you can try them and dive with them, even better.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 01:40 PM ----------

DSS = Deep Sea Supply, a company.
SS = Stainless steel
Kydex = a light (plasticy? not sure) material that some bp's are made of

DSS- Deep Sea Supply, company that makes backplates and wings in Pasadena California
SS-Stainless Steel-preferred material for most single tank backplates because it doesn't corrode in water and allows you to offset quite a bit of lead from the belt
Kydex-plastic, essentially a combination of acrylic and PVC, and designed in the 60's for the aerospace interior industry. DSS makes a backplate where the center ridge is SS and the sides are made out of Kydex. This allows the plate to be very lightweight but still have the stainless steel to support the tanks.

None of the above one piece harnesses come with padding. If you have a thick wetsuit it will be fine. You can also replace them with a harness like the Dive Rite Transplate which fits like a hiking backpack.

Depends on the harness used and the wing. Typical weight is right around 12-14lbs.
5lbs SS Backplate
1lb one piece harness *up to 2.5lbs for the Transplate style harnesses*
2lb STA-not needed for all wings or systems
1-3lbs-cam bands. SS Cam bands are about 1.5lbs each, and are 1lb negative in water. Plastic cam bands are about half a pound each but are not negative in water
Wing is about 2lbs depending on the size and inflator mechanism.

The Kydex plate will drop somewhere around 3-4lbs from the total weight of the system. Kydex plate system from DSS should be around 8-10lbs for travel.

The Halcyon Infinity has shoulder and back padding, and other bells and whistles that are probably not needed. Mine is a Halcyon Infinity, but it is stripped down to nothing but the thin back pad. It is a one-piece continuous webbing, and it is modular so you can put on or take off whatever parts you want/need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom