ANDREA DORIA Anyone ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubarescuepd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone dove the ANDREA DORIA ? if so please tell your story, i'm interested in doing that wreck sometime in the near future, it's like one of my goals... Not too many people i've run into have done it... :(

I have been training for the Doria for a year now, but now, with running my own boat, I am finding that I am not getting the deeper dives in. How far along are you with your work up dives? Are you in the NJ/NY area? From talking with many who were on the Doria last year, she is really not the wreck she used to be. Really starting to cave in and becoming a 240' ruble pile. Plenty of other great dives in the area that may not have the reputation of the Doria, but will actually be better dives in a year or two. The Carolina, and the U859 are two that come to mind. I think you will find that fewer and fewer trips will be run to the Doria in the next few years, so if you want to go, better train hard and get there soon.

d

My Goal is to dive a Doria type wreck but probabily not the Doria because of her deteriating condition. I'm still a long way off in my training having just started diving last year. This year I am going to do the Resor and the Tolten which will get me out a little further off shore and down a little deeper then I have been. Both dives will be on the Seeker which also does the Doria so hopefully there will be some good stories on board.

I have been training for the Doria for a year now, but now, with running my own boat, I am finding that I am not getting the deeper dives in.

NJ Wreck Finder, are you running a for hire boat or your own personal boat? Where do you run out of?

Ty

I dove her last year. We had pretty poor conditions, with lower than average visibility. I was not too impressed, but that was undoubtedly influenced by the crappy conditions. Even though she is 700 feet long, if you can only see 10 feet of it at a time, what is the point?
I have seen a lot of video from years ago when she was really amazing, but the past couple of years have been rough. We will probably give her another chance and hit her again next year (it is just a real long drive from Florida).
You can see pics from our trip on the AUE website. There are no underwater pics as the visibility really did suck bad.
The Carolina is really mangled, but has good artifact potential.
I am headed up north later this summer, hopefully to dive the Carolina, but I am more interested in the St. Augustine.
Cheers,

Originally posted by aue-mike
I am headed up north later this summer, hopefully to dive the Carolina, but I am more interested in the St. Augustine.
Cheers,

Hi Mike,

Haven't heard of St. Augustine. Care to give any details?

Tom

Info and pic:
http://www.mikey.net/aue/auggie.html

Being a former luxury yacht, she is a very elegant wreck. Since it was located just a few years ago and due to the location and depth, not too many people have hit it.

I will probably dive the Terror Wreck, S-5, and India Arrow (sistership of the Dixie Arrow off Hatteras) as well. Looking to also slide up north and hit the Carolina with some friends. There is a lot of potential off the Delmarva coast.
Cheers

Thanks Mike. Auggie looks like a good site. Have a great trip and dive safe.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom