GPS sites in the British Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islanbouy

New
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find GPS coordinates for dive sites in the British Vigin Islands in the Tortola area.
Wrecks or reefs. Or maybe someone knows a good book that has GPS spots. We will have our own boat and wont need to go thru a dive company and like exploring on our own. Thanks and any help would be appreciated
Mark:)

I own a sailboat in the BVI and have been sailing and diving for the last seven years. All dive sites have moorings already. Even the wreck of the Chakuzen (about 7 miles NNE of Tortola). You can get the GPS from most dive shops, because even with the mooring there it is hard to find. Only dive this site in calm condtions...... If you have any other questions, please ask.

You can get the GPS from most dive shops, .

two years ago we went and were diving and some of the sites in our diving guide were in the middle of nothing, The book had no gps coords, (maybe the new ed. will) in particular there was an airplane near the dogs, and when we asked the dive shop they said if we wanted to pay them to take us they would show us otherwise "Have a nice day" He explained that it was how they made money and how could I ask them to give out trade secrets. I felt like telling him "Have a nice day"

So I am looking for any coordinates of any dives that are not near shore and obviously marked with the wonderful bouys that the parks board puts out. that might be interesting.

any help or directions to find gps coord. would be great.:D

Roguewarrior2's post seems to answer it all, but I was a bit surprised at earlier posts I usually find local dive companies are happy to give GPS coordinates if you ask nicely (try Tony and Kate at UBS:Scuba Diving in the BVI � UBS Dive Center - they are a very small and friendly operation). But the wreck of the Chikuzen is the only one that you really need coordinates to find (I always get lost trying to find it - and possibly Tow Rock and Santa Monica Rocks (neither of which have bouys)) - the BVI is so small, and most of the dive sites well marked with bouys to moor on that you shouldn't normally need them.

But the wreck of the Chikuzen is the only one that you really need coordinates to find

We dove the Chikuzen a few days after it sunk back 1n 1981. As I recall it was marked with a buoy (NOT A MOORING BALL):blinking: and you had to be fairly close to see the ball. We did not have any GPS devices back in those days and used eyeball navigation to get close to the site. If we were planning to dive the Chikuzen we would make our decision to go or not go :no when we were at Mountain Point leaving North Sound. If we could see all the way down Drakes Channel to St. John the visibility would be good enough to use our landmarks behind us to run out on the right track for 60 minutes and there the ball would be:crafty:.

I don't think we ever had to abort a dive because we could not find it. I probably dove the Chikuzen maybe 15 or 20 times in the 80's and always found it to be a GREAT dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom