Shipwrecks and Submerged Worlds: Maritime Archaeology - Free 4-week Online Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
[h=4]Shipwrecks and Submerged Worlds: Maritime Archaeology[/h]
shipwrecks and the submerged world course.JPG

Shipwrecks and Submerged Worlds is a free four week online course offered in conjunction with FutureLearn, starting on the 6th October 2014. It gives you a unique opportunity to gain an insight into the fascinating world of maritime archaeology, in an open access and engaging format.
Drawing on the expertise of the staff and students of the Centre for Maritime Archaeology at the University of Southampton, participants will be guided through humanity’s changing relationship with the world’s oceans and seas over the last 2.5 million years.
We will discuss the impact of changing sea-levels on the geography of our planet and the legacy they may have left behind in myths and legends of Atlantis and Lyonesse; the development of seafaring technologies; and the emergence of globalised economies. We will explore the traditions of seafaring that gave birth to such diverse historical and social phenomena as Polynesian exploration and colonisation, Viking age expansion, the ‘Golden Age of Sail’ and piracy. We will examine the transformative impact that levels of preservation found on wrecks such as the Mary Rose and Vasa have had on our understanding of past societies, through to what can be learned from more modern maritime sites such as the Titanic. The science and technology behind data collection will be explained, from diver based research to cutting edge remote sensing techniques. We’ll also consider the key questions and that continue to challenge researchers today and shape the future direction of the discipline.
Importantly, this course has been designed to allow significant participant interaction, through group discussion and online tasks. In this way we hope not only to teach, but to engage course members with the rewards that archaeological research has to offer. We hope that the comments people make and the ideas they have, will stimulate us all to think about the subject in new and different ways. It is this crowdsourcing of ideas that particularly excites us about providing the course. It offers us a chance to engage with a much wider audience than we normally do, to learn about people’s different ideas and generate new insights into how we might interpret the past.
Whether you are a student wanting a taster of our archaeology degrees or a lifelong learner with a passion for our oceans, we’ll introduce this exciting discipline to you in an accessible way. The course is suitable for anyone and there is no need for any previous experience. Although the course runs throughout October 2014, it is likely to be repeated in 2015.
More details here: Shipwrecks and Submerged Worlds: Maritime Archaeology | Free Course

Done! via open courses future learning - october 6 start. Thanks for the info.

I'm in.

I'm in! Looking forward to it.

I am in.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2014 at 03:02 PM ----------

I am in.

Me too!

It's like I'm back in school.... 20 years and 20 pounds later....

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom