fell back in love with double AL80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I'm diving in Texas this week, and it's too damn hot for a drysuit. I opted to wear a 3mil and dive AL80 dubs. I think I honestly forgot how nice it is to dive such a light rig, and honestly if it weren't for the lack of backgas, I would probably dive them constantly throughout the summer in NC.

I suppose I could carry a stage to make up for that on double dip days, but really don't want to deal with the hassle.

So if you are tired of lugging around steels, take the opportunity to dive aluminum every now and again, if nothing else just for the novelty of having a light and comfortable rig.

Did the same thing last year. Threw on a set of double AL80's for a quarry dive since they had air in them and my steels where apart for hydro. Getting in and out of the water seemed so easy.

Like you the gas of double 80's falls short next to my HP 119's.

Give me my rebreather any day!!!

:)

Well no ****....I want a rEvo, but every time I think I can afford one something breaks at the house...lol.

On the other hand you double up some 3442 80's or 100's and carry less weight and also less lead.

I hear you there. But after the unit purchase and training is done, it's all fun & games!!

On the other hand you double up some 3442 80's or 100's and carry less weight and also less lead.

I don't carry lead with AL doubles....even in a 5 mil. Let's just say I sink easily no matter what I'm wearing..lol

I hear you there. But after the unit purchase and training is done, it's all fun & games!!

And sorb...you forgot sorb.

double 72's, that's where it's really at. Lighter on land than the 80's, better in the water than the 80's, brilliant little tanks. I don't wear lead ever and the 72's actually overweight my quite a bit, but it's still worth having the 10lbs less weight to lug around on land. They also have the older style manifolds where the crossbar is shorter so the tanks have the same spacing between them as an 8" diameter tank but the whole rig is that much narrower

I hate our doubled 72s. They are so darned nose-heavy!

I love Al80 doubles in warm water. I need so little weight that the fact that the tanks are actually heavy for the capacity they have doesn't bother me.

In cold water, though . . . friends don't let friends dive aluminum. The weight penalty is just too high. The Al80 weighs about the same as an HP100, but has less gas -- and is four pounds positive when empty. Al80s doubled, with bands and manifold, come close to neutral. Doubled 100s have about 33% more gas, weigh the same on land, but are about 7 pounds negative empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom