Dive Report: first Dive on HMCS Annapolis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just 48 hours after she was sunk, I and a few other lucky divers, had the honor of being among the first members of the public to diver her. It was long anticipated and something special for me personally since I had volunteered a couple of times to help in the clean up. I was also privileged to witnessed the sinking last Saturday.

On Tuesday afternoon we chartered out on the Sea Dragon from Horseshoe Bay and in 20 minutes we were moored on the stern buoy near Gambier Island. As a mainlander, I can now rejoice at being able to dive such an impressive vessel without the hassle and expense of a round trip ferry ride to see the other more established artificial wrecks put down by the ARSBC.

There was so much anticipation and excitement on the charter; everyone was gearing up in record time to be the first to get in the water. The sheltered Halkett Bay was dead calm and we were at high tide. Descending down the stern line, I strained my eyes to see any details of the ship. Visibility was not the greatest, maybe about 15 ft, due to a bit of a plankton bloom. Moments later though, at around 60 feet, we found ourselves on the lower stern deck just below and aft of the hangar deck where the Sea King helicopter once lived. There are two other options for descending as there are mooring buoys at midship and at the bow.

My dive buddy and I surveyed the decks from stern to bow and poked around in a few openings but did not do any penetrations. I captured a few minutes of video and posted it to Youtube under my user name for those who want more. There is also lots to see shallower than 60 feet, like the upper decks, bridge and a couple of stacks. The bow tip was at 65 feet and we got down to about 85 feet along the hull. Might I also add that you could put a level on the decks, she is sitting so perfectly straight and upright.

The ARSBC has added a few nice extras that caught me by surprise, not that an impressive ship like this needs any. On one forward area there is a cool old anchor welded to the deck and in another area there are some amazing shiny metal fish sculptures displayed weather vane style. I didn't see any real fish but hey it's only been 48 hours and its dark as hell down there.

Can't wait to return again and again and see the transformation as she begins to collect sea life. A highly recommended dive!

Thank you for the report. I saw the video of the sinking and look forward to diving the Annapolis once I get back to North America.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I moved the thread from /how-to-use-sb-video-tutorials/ to Wreck Diving.

Nice!

I'm on it Sunday, should be fun!

BRad

I'm heading over to dive it next week. Where would you recommend focusing my time?

Take a lap around, and then play around the helipad.

If your trained, head on in as well. Lots of places to go!

BRad

A few of us are heading up there from the Seattle area on June 20. Thanks for your work and the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe me I'd love to go inside but I'm not going with anyone else I know and I doubt the shop I booked with will have some other techies joining. I'm also renting al80's so I don't have to bring my tanks over so I'll see how far I do get to go in.

I'll post some video when I'm back.

Hi all, I've had the pleasure to do six dives on the Annapolis. There is a lot of ship to explore. I also want to add that while the vis has been improving, the first five dives I did, the vis was poor as noted above and very dark. At the risk of stating the obvious, for wreck penetration divers, the Annapolis has a lot of access holes but when you are inside it is very hard to see them as the black rectangles look like part of the wall of the ship (especially if your eyes have adjusted to bright video lights). There is already a layer of silt in the ship so if one kicks it up your vis will deteriorate quite rapidly. Personally, even though the ship is relatively shallow, I wouldn't penetrate the ship on a single al80. Charter may only do one dive on the Annapolis and the other at another site such as Halkett Wall. Its a great dive too! To make the 80 c.f. last, one could drop on the stern or midships have a look at the hangar, midships, "rockfish", bridge, and stacks on the way up the midship ascent line. You could average just under 3 ata's. Have a great dive! Safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom