This may sound like a dumb newbie question but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverEMT

Reaction score
I've always been fascinated with shipwreck, growing up in the Great Lakes area kinda adds to that. I'm curious to find out, I can dive down to a ship wreck and swim around it even if I've not taken the wreck diving course correct? I don't plan to touch any wrecks or to penetrate them, I just like looking at them.
I figured I'd ask because knowledge is power and the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Right?!?!

Thanks all!!!!

Many many people do jus swim around wrecks, without training, but If you're careful, it's just like diving a reef. Most things wreck training teaches you is about overhead environments, tips on not kicking up the viz while you're inside a wreck, and also navigation within wrecks etc.

So if you definitly aint planning on penetrating, I can't see there beeing a huge problem. Just learn as much about the wreck as you can, because not only can there be hazardous items on the wreck itself, there can be netting, ropes etc floating somewhere nearby.

But to be honest, if you really have a passion for wrecks, you should do the training, it would make the diving so much better!!

Good luck,

Scubafreak

Yes, you can do that. It's really no different that looking at a reef.

There are some possible hazards of which you should be aware.

If there are any strong currents about and any fissures in the wreck, it is possible to be sucked into the wreck, but not probable.

Always be on the lookout for lines, hawsers, nets and that ilk. Entanglements generally present the most frequent hazards outside of a wreck.

Keep in mind wrecks are man made things and as such offer up hazards not presented by nature.

WOW! YOu guys are fast. I am DEFINATELY planning on taking the course. I remember we dove to a little wreck in my Basic course and swam around it. It was really cool.
Thanks again!!!!

I agree. Wrecks can be really cool. Some people just don't get the same rush. YMMV. We think they are pretty exciting. To each his (her) own.

One of the cool things about wrecks is that they usually tend to attract a lot of life (same as any natural structure, maybe more). When I am at a reef, I am enthralled by the life and the growth, but not so much by the structure. At a wreck the life and the growth and the structure can be beautiful.

Be aware that there can be more dangers (in general) at a wreck than at a natural formation, but as long as you are careful, everything should be okay.

If you choose to dive wrecks without training, dive carefully as you would any reef. Watch out for sharp pieces and entanglement hazards etc. Poke around carefully and have fun safely.

If you choose to take a wreck certification class, enjoy it! Some people would argue that it is not necessary, or that you only need the class if you plan to penetrate wrecks on your own. My advice is to take a course. Obviously you like wrecks, and even if you never do a deep penetration, getting more information, increasing your knowledge and diving some wrecks for training is all good! Go for it!

Just my two cents,

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom