HMS Repulse off Tioman, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am not a wreck diver. Just happen to come across this in a local dive forum that might be of interest to some of you guys here. Maybe another good reason to visit Malaysia water besides Sipadan :)?

HMS Repulse has been visited by many divers over the years—I don’t know what the situation is now, but at least in the beginning the site was considered a British war grave and diving was officially discouraged.

There is a group of DIR divers going there this summer from Japan (JUE). I believe that the max depth is around 60 meters so it is definitely a technical dive. Many people have dived it though - so I don't really think that there is a restriction (although I don't know about penetrations). The Prince of Wales is also around there somewhere - both battleships were sunk at the same time during the Japanese invasion of Malaya.

Vie:
HMS Repulse has been visited by many divers over the years—I don’t know what the situation is now, but at least in the beginning the site was considered a British war grave and diving was officially discouraged.

Should have known a bit of the history about the wreck first before I posted. Now I think the last sentence and the smily seem inappropriate in my original post. Please ignore that sentence (Somehow I can't edit my post anymore). My apology if it offended anyone.

The shallow part of the Repulse is divable by recreational divers and a great dive site. The deeper parts of the wreck are best done after tech training. While I'm not keen on penetrating a war grave myself, many others are and you should obviously be properly trained before going into any wreck, particularly this one. The local Asian forum (FiNS) has lots of information and write-ups about dives on both the Repulse and POW as well as many others in the area at both wreck and tech depths.

YCW:
Should have known a bit of the history about the wreck first before I posted. Now I think the last sentence and the smily seem inappropriate in my original post. Please ignore that sentence (Somehow I can't edit my post anymore). My apology if it offended anyone.
Many wrecks are graves (unless the ship was scuttled). So I wouldn't consider the Repulse as any different than other ships sank in battle :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom