Zeagle Zena Weight Distribution question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Budgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is probably a dumb question, but I have looked all over and cant find the answer...so here it goes...

Which pockets do I put my weights in? The side pockets or the back on pockets? Whats the difference?

I just got my Zena and I am leaving for Mexico in a week...I tried it out in the pool with weights in the side pockets and it seemed fine...but I know there is a reason for the back pockets...

thanks, Sharon

The majority of your weights should be in the side pocket, but some (I remember a recommendation of 1/3) should be in the back to help you trim out when you are on the surface and not face plant.

For trim a lot depends on your buoyancy, especially how much suit you have on and whether it's full, a shortie etc.

Also the tank is a big factor. An aluminun 80 is nearly 4 lbs buoyant at the end of a long dive and having at least that much back there generally helps. A steel tank will not get buoyant and will probably not require any weight in the rear pockets at all.

Be careful about putting too much back there, as the ballast if in excess will possibly cause more side rolling.

You have to experiment... but 4 to 6 lbs evenly split in the two rear pockets is probably fine with most divers and an aluminum tank.

Chad

I've been diving a Zena for nearly 4 years and I can honestly say that unless you're diving a steel tank, you're definitely going to want weight in the tank pockets. You'll feel more balanced with a few pounds in the back.

Thanks for all the information! I have always had an issue at the end of my dive with the tank being so buoyant that I have to struggle for my safety stop. I then started to slightly overweight myself so that at the end of the dive I could do the safety stop more easily.

I will try the 4 pounds in the back pockets...I absolutely love my new zena and I cant wait to dive in it...It is the most comfortable bc I have tried...

Hi Budgirl....I just came across this post. I am sure you have your Zena weight issues taken care of by now but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I am a new diver and the Zena is the only BC I have tried besides those horrid ones you use for dive class. When I first put it on I had most of my weight in the front pockets. I struggled with keeping my face out of the water. Now I have 10 lbs. in the back and 6 in the front and it works perfectly. I love my Zena. I even had a dive assistant on a boat in the Keys this past weekend have Zena envy when she saw it.

Hi, Budgirl,

I'm the opposite of jenlaur, I put 6 in the back and 10 lbs in the front, and it works well for me but I've only done two dives with my new Zena. It is the most comfortable BC I've ever had on. I picked it up during Ocean Fest in April 2008 after getting frustrated with the rental BCs riding up and shifting during my dives. I taking my Zena out for a spin this weekend when I head to Costa Rica. Hoping to get AOW while I'm there.

Safe diving to all.

I LOVE MY ZENA...We went to Coz in May and I put 4 pounds in the back (2 on each side) and 8 pounds up front...It was great! I absolutely love the way it fits like a glove!

We are going to the keys next week and I can't wait to take it for another spin...although Costa Rica sounds more exciting!

Great news Budgirl! It's always sweet when you get your weighting just right. :)

If you do much shore diving (particularly), I do have a suggestion for you. I needed to take a bit of slack up in my Zena (lost a little weight) and rather than buying a new part, I got the lumbar pad and jerryrigged it for my Zena (it isn't made for the Zena). We're currently on Bonaire and the lumbar pad has made a HUGE difference in how it feels to carry a tank on my back. It fills in my lower back space and helps me support the tank, which in turn causes less pull on my shoulders. And although the tank has never been uncomfortable in the water, it's even more comfortable now.

Scott, you really need to consider having the pad tweaked to fit a Zena...I'm totally sold on having one in mine.

DiveMaven - maybe you can help me!

I've got a Zena in XS all-around, but it's still too large! (I'm 5 feet tall, 95lbs)

On my recent dive trip (also to Bonaire!), it kept shifting around constantly, even with the straps pulled all the way. How did you jerry-rig the lumbar pad, and which one did you buy (is there more than one?) I plan to be back on Bonaire in November, and would really like to get the Zena fitting somewhat close to snug!

Or Scott - are there plans to customize this lumbar pad sometime soon? Should I hold off?

Thanks so much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom