My new Zeagle Brigade power inflator leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Got it brand new this week and tested it in the pool. There is a leak not from the button, but around the screw on the backside of the button.

It's a constant steady small bubble coming out - I attached a picture of the location of the leak.

Will the inflator need replaced, serviced, etc? This is my first BCD and I am not sure what really to do (I did send an email to ScubaToys)

I absolutely loved the BCD when I wore it but this really bums me out since I have my checkout dives in a few weeks..

Attachments

• inflator.jpg
    inflator.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 452
Most likely just an o-ring ... could even just be that it's not seated properly. I'd recommend taking it to your shop and letting someone who knows what the inside of an inflator valve looks like take a peek at it. You could always send it back to ScubaToys, but the fix is probably less expensive than the postage.

A decent tech will probably be able to fix you up in a few minutes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most likely just an o-ring ... could even just be that it's not seated properly. I'd recommend taking it to your shop and letting someone who knows what the inside of an inflator valve looks like take a peek at it.

Probably be able to fix you up in a few minutes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well - I took it to my LDS where I didn't buy it since he doesn't sell Zeagle (only Sherwood/Cressi). I got the Zeagle because it's a custom fit for my big size 6'8 325lbs..

So he just said "Is that brand new? Wow - Yep, it needs servicing..."

And that's as far as that conversation went. I feel like he is giving me the cold shoulder now that I didn't buy from him - I told him I bought the Zeagle instead of the Cressi/Sherwood BCD's as it was custom made for my large frame because I didn't want to tick him off - I really understand the concept of using your LDS and I try to buy everything from him.

But all of my adult life I have had to get things made to fit me and I can't control that.

I guess the fact that I paid for class, bought my other items (mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit, etc etc etc.) wasn't good enough..

That is a 1/4 hex screw. Just took mine apart to see what was in there after seeing your post. There is an oring right under the screw and another one down the shaft of the assembly. Have you tried CAREFULLY tightening the screw head? If not see if it will go an 1/8 turn. It may just need snugged up. The other thing might be a bad oring. If it's new that is not likely but possible. I;d try giving it a little turn to see. But JUST A LITTLE. That is plastic and might be easy to strip the screw head. NOTE I AM NOT A ZEAGLE TECH AND HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS COULD MESS UP YOUR WARRANTY! I am trained on another brand and do most of my own work on all my gear.
Aqua Imersion and Columbus Scuba in Nelsonville are both Zeagle Dealers. I don;t know anyone at Aqua but Andy Silverman at Columbus Scuba is a personal friend. Call him and tell him I referred you.

Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, huh?

A 1/4" Allen wrench will remove that "plug". There is a spring underneath it and it contains a Schraeder valve. Replace the O-Ring or call the place that sold you the BC and ask them to send you one. All manufacturers make mistakes... Zeagle does an exceptional job of making it right.

Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, huh?

A 1/4" Allen wrench will remove that "plug". There is a spring underneath it and it contains a Schraeder valve. Replace the O-Ring or call the place that sold you the BC and ask them to send you one. All manufacturers make mistakes... Zeagle does an exceptional job of making it right.

Already sent Scubatoys an email - but thought I may get a few suggestions here before they responded (probably on Monday).

I appreciate the advice - but how do I know if the o-ring the culprit? Do they usually have a visual defect or is it something you just replace and try again?

That's a BX inflator right? Couldn't tell from the picture but I think I see the top of a knurled ring.
If so, when Scubatoys contacts you just ask them to send you a new one and just unscrew and replace the whole thing.

That's a BX inflator right? Couldn't tell from the picture but I think I see the top of a knurled ring.
If so, when Scubatoys contacts you just ask them to send you a new one and just unscrew and replace the whole thing.

I think it is - it's the one that came with my Brigade which is the same as the Ranger I believe.

This is it.

ZEA0008.jpg

This is the BX inflator. The top of it stays with the BC and you twist the ring just above the inflator to remove it to flush the BC:
Buy Bx Power Inflator scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

That ring is what I think I see part of in your photo.

This is the standard inflator - it's cable-tied to the hose permanently: Buy Standard Power Inflator scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

Yes it is definitely the BX I can remove it and hook a water hose to the BC to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom