Inherent Buoyancy of Express Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstrek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the inherent salt water buoyancy of the Express Tech BCD Standard harness, 24 lbs. wing with ZIpTouch weight pocket but no additional pads (no backpad or shoulder pads)? I have not yet purchased but am considering this as a tropical, travel BCD. Currently, I am using a 10 year old Seaquest Pro QD (about 5 pound buoyant) and would like to estimate how much weight I will need if/when I change to the Zeagle Express Tech.

Thank you,
Gary

Pretty much none. I dive it with no weights in fresh water and 4 in salt, exactly what I use with an old hard plastic back. This is assuming you get all the air out of the bladder. I have 3- 2 in SS Drings added to the harness.

Welcome to the board.

Excellent, thanks Herman. I should be able to drop my weight by 5 pounds then. My plan is to split the remaining weight with 2 pounds on the tank band and 2 ditchable (add 4 pounds if wearing 3 mil suit).

New this year is a replacement for my Oly 5050: an Oly E-PL1, YS-01 strobe and Oly housing. I've read this is a little positive so will have to see how to compensate for that.

I am a long time SB lurker but new contributor!
------------
Gary

I love my Express Tech and part of that is because there is no extra padding. You can add it, but why?

Exactly. All I plan on adding are SS d-rings. No padding wanted or needed. I am looking for compactness for travel and streamlined for diving.

---
Gary

I need to take photos of this but I added a very simple weight system to mine for use if you don't need much weight and don't mind it not being ditchable. Since I don't use but 4 lbs (2x2) I am confortable with that much non ditchable weights. I cut 2 lengths of weight belt material (or left over from cutting the waist strap) and threaded it through a 2lb weight. I layed this down on the backplate, marked where the 2 lower grometed holes were and with a soldering iron melted 2 opening in the webbing. I use 4 of the standard Zeagle sexbolts to attach each end of the webbing to the back plate with the weight. Now I can attach 2 lb weights to each side of the backplate. While I was making mine, I used a piece of webbing that was a little extra long and marked a second set of holes in one end that would allow room for 4lb weights. I now have the choice of using weights anywhere from 1 to 4 lbs (on each side). Or a total on board weight range of 0 to 8 lbs which almost covers all of my wet diving. No weight belt or system needed and one less thing to travel with.

Clever! This will also be used for a new diver (daughter) so I want ditchable weights for her at least.

I've installed an Aqualung SOS sausage to the dump valve of my Seaquest ProQD. Not sure but I expect these are standard screw on dump valves on the bottom. I wouldn't mind trying to jerry rig that to the Express Tech. If that doesn't work, I'll use something more along the lines of a Quicklink.

I have 1 xs scuba weight pocket on each camband. Throw a 3 pounder in each and I now have my BPW setup. Put a 2 in each and it is perfect for freshwater or pool with my polartech and a steel 72. With this the only inherent buoyancy is my own bioprene!

Back
Top Bottom