Express tech, tank too high

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gubbins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just picked up an express tech and the top tank band seems to be too high for me. Even when attached right near the top of the tank, the 1st stage is banging me in the head. Is there a way to adjust it, or am I missing something? Could really do with it being around 3 or 4" lower.

Harness straps are tight and well fitted, secured by glides at the point where the shoulder straps become the waist band, so no unwanted movement there.

What type of tank? I must admit that i dive with a HEAVY steel 130 tank. It sits perfect for me.

Odds are it's riding up. Do you have a crotch strap and do you have weight belt keepers on the back (shoulder) side of the lower strap guides. If you don't have both of these, the BP will work it's way up until the top edge of the BP is even with your shoulders. I dive the ET with an old double hose reg that requires me to keep it a lot lower than needed with a modern reg. Unless I do both of the above, it will work it's way up.

I use a crotch strap and have the keepers on the strap guides. Seems to fit well, with just room for a fist between the strap and my shoulder. Certainly wouldn't want it any tighter (and think that would actually raise the tank).
Using an AL80 tank.

I was having trouble with mine being to high also. I had to lengthen the shoulder straps so that the plate sat lower and the waist band would be around my waist. The crotch strap helps if it is not to loose.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Thought that loser straps would result in the plate riding up, but perhaps a wince inducingly tight crotch strap is the answer. Would love it if there was an option to lower that top tank band.

Lots of people have a similar problem with the Diverite Transpac harness. Sometimes loosening the shoulder straps, cinching the crotch strap helps (but not for everyone).

Last edited:
One early addition I made to my Express Tech was to add a metal tri-glide on each strap so that I could NOT over tighten the shoulders. They are stopped by the oval metal ring that your strap slides through. Now, the position of your tank is adjusted by your crotch strap.

I use a crotch strap and have the keepers on the strap guides. Seems to fit well, with just room for a fist between the strap and my shoulder. Certainly wouldn't want it any tighter (and think that would actually raise the tank).
Using an AL80 tank.

Where on the strap guides? They must be behind (shoulder side) of the lower guides to prevent the BC from riding up. What happens (or at least this was what my problem was) is you tighten the waist strap on land and everything is in place. Under water you feel the waist strap is loose so you tighten it. What has happened is the BC has rode up and the slack works it's way to the waist band. You tightend the waist band and the process repeats itself until the BP reaches the top of your shoulders. To stop this, the keepers must be on the back of the straps so the can not SHORTEN. That way the slack can not be transfered to the waist band.

Back
Top Bottom