Zeagle Scout Trim.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm an older guy and have been diving off and on for many years and have primarily rented dive gear in warm climates. I wear a 3mm shorty and carry 12 lbs on a belt with the weights on my kidneys. I weigh 140 and am 5'8'. I have always gotten standard BCs with the bladders in the front. I ask for a small BC and cinch it up tight. Using this setup I can go neutral and maintain any attitude easily.
I am buying a Scout to try a back bladder system. I am wondering how my underwater balance may change. Will back trim weights be necessary, or can I just continue with the 12 lbs on a belt? Because I have never had a problem with the older BCs I hope I haven't made a mistake in making a change. It just seems having the buoyancy cells closer to the tank makes more sense. Any comments or advice?
By the way, I will be going to Roatan in October after diving many times in Cozumel. I like Cozumel a lot. I like the town and the people and the diving, but I am looking forward to a change of scenery.
Thanks,
Sandy Crane
Boise, ID.

I don't work for zeagle , but back inflate will help you get a more horizontal attitude underwater. On the surface though you may find it wants to push you onto your face a little more than a back inflate BC. This is easy to overcome, just don't over inflate the bc at the surface and lay back a bit.

People here seem to prefer back inflate over the jacket style bc.

Thanks, 00Wabbit, for your reply.
I just received the Scout I ordered as a closeout item yesterday from a LDS in the midwest. To my surprise it was an older "Made in USA" model that differed significantly from current spec. It has no cummerbund or pockets at all besides the elongated trim pockets at tank level. It also has a 35 lb bladder. Since it IS new, and pretty cheap I am happy with this bare bones outfit.
One thing I found interesting on the Scout is although it has two tank bands the upper band is a simple cinch type and not a cam lock. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade the simple upper band to a more secure type? Also, even though it lacks the cummerbund, with a tank mounted on dry land it feels very comfortable and secure with no flop of the steel tank.
Anyways, I'll see if I can get into a pool with it before my October trip and check it out.
Sandy.

I've been using a Zeagle Scout for ?maybe 10 years now...I put a 3 pound weight in each back weight pocket & wear the rest of my weight either on a cam strap of the BC(2 or 3 pound weight) OR if over that, I use the rest on a belt..........EDIT:-I love it, it's as comfortable as my DR BP/W I got 3 or 4 years ago--still use it as my number 1 BC.....It was my 1st back inflate BC, dove a 'standard' jacket for almost 20 years before getting the Scout----it was very easy--& comfortable- to change over to....IMO, you'll like it......

OK, thanks for the information on weights! I'm thinking I'll try 2 x 2 lbs in the trim pocket to start, and the rest on a belt. Does this seem a good starting point? This way the BC/Tank unit will not be overly heavy to climb on the boat with after handing over the belt.
I am a little worried (not knowing better) that I will have a tendency to float front heavy at the surface. Is there a way to avoid this, or am I worried about nothing?
Thanks,
Sandy.

OK, thanks for the information on weights! I'm thinking I'll try 2 x 2 lbs in the trim pocket to start, and the rest on a belt. Does this seem a good starting point? This way the BC/Tank unit will not be overly heavy to climb on the boat with after handing over the belt.
I am a little worried (not knowing better) that I will have a tendency to float front heavy at the surface. Is there a way to avoid this, or am I worried about nothing?
Thanks,
Sandy.

Sounds like a good plan.........& , it's(back inflate) a little different feeling @ 1st(if I remember correctly) but something you can easily 'overcome'......Any way of trying a friend's BI, before purchasing???.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom