Twins with a Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am wondering what options are available to use twin cylinders with a Zeagle Ranger. In the Navy, we dove doubles (two AL80s connected with a USD manifold with only one yoke attachment and a J valve) using extender straps on the tank straps to be able to strap two tanks in. We never had any issues with the tanks not being held in well. The clamp on the strap bands worked really well at holding the tanks in. Now I am out of the Navy but I still enjoy diving a trusty Ranger in the water. I am looking to expand my diving into twin tanks. I would like to do this with my Ranger. Will any back plate fit the Ranger to mount twins this way? I like Zeagle, but if i do end up going to a BP/W set up I might use a different manufacturer. No offense to Zeagle, but I probably wont use my ranger wings on a BP set up. Or is there a way to get the extender straps? I am very financially conscious, and would like to avoid buying lots of extra stuff just to dive twin tanks, but also don't have the money or see the need to buy a BP/W just to dive doubles. Most of my diving is done with a single tank.

Last edited:
Yes, I am well aware of that youtube video. I am wondering if other backplates will work, and if extending straps are available.

Can't help you with mounting twins to a soft-pack Ranger, but I do use a Ranger wing on a Zeagle backplate in a more conventional BPW setup. Works great. I wasn't sure that an 18lb donut would be big enough, and I knew a 60lb doubles wing would be way too big...and the ranger is goldilocks for both singes and doubles. Zeagle's backplate has holes positioned for small bolts to attach the wing, adjustable to fit singles or doubles. It's quite a good system, actually. As far as I know it would need to be a Zeagle backplate, or else you'd need to drill additional holes for the mounting bolts. Zeagle's not usually super expensive, so I'm not sure it would be worth it...

Dave.

Dave,
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) so if you get a solution that you like and that uses the Zeagle Ranger, please take pics and give us a step-by-step with your suggestions.

Just about any back plate should work if the bolt spacing is the 11" standard. Using a back plate would tend to stabize the tanks on your back.

Use Dive Rite Stab plates, they bolt right on to the double bands. Take off the soft straps you use for a single.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom