Share This Page
Captain, from Carrabelle, Florida
- cappyjon431 was last seen:
- Mar 23, 2017
- Home Page:
- Carrabelle, Florida
- Diving Safety Officer, Marine ops Manager, FSU
- eBay User Name:
- Blog / MySpace URL:
- Certification Agencies:
- PADI, NACD
- Dive History:
- I like it all--cave diving, wrecks, deep, shallow reefs, collecting fossils in murky rivers. I've dived throughout the Caribbean and North Central Florida, but most of my dives have been in Belize and the Bahamas because that's where I worked for many years.
- Certification History:
- PADI IDC Staff Instructor with 14 specialties. Also NACD cave certified.
- Certification Level:
- IDC Staff Instructor
- Dive Classification:
- Instructor / Assistant Instructor / Dive Master / Dive Con
- Years Certified:
- Ten Or More Years
- Dive Equipment:
- Mostly ScubaPro.
I worked as a dive instructor/boat captain for almost ten years for Nekton Diving Cruises and also worked for a year at Amoray Dive Resort in Key Largo. I left the industry to teach college at UNC-Wilmington (English lit. with a concentration in Caribbean-American writers), which I did for a number of years and thoroughly enjoyed. In December 2007 I traveled to Bocas del Toro, Panama for a dive vacation over Christmas break annd fell in love with this remote part of the Caribbean. On my last day of diving I found out the shop was for sale, so I resigned my teaching post, sold my house and cars, and moved to my little slice of paradise.
- Rebreather Experience:
In April of 2011, I decided to sell Bocas Water Sports.
I was recently hired as the Dive Safety Officer and Marine Operations Manager at FSU's Coastal and Marine Lab in St. Teresa, FL. I also just earned my AAUS Scientific Diver designation.
Dive Safety Officer, Florida State University Coastal and Marine Lab
"You can't run from the wind. you trim your sails, face the music, and just keep going."