Rescue Diver!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a back-inflate BC. {Don't ya hate it when people leave things like this hanging. I'll take the bait!} What's your comment?

Jarhead

Originally posted by Stone
If you have a back inflation BC, I have a comment.

If you have a jacket BC, I don't have anything to add to the previous posts.

Good Luck!

Yeah Stone - I'll bite too..... I have a back inflate and I'm doing Rescue in late June.

I also have a backflate bc. What is the scoop?

:confused:

When doing in-water rescue breathing, you need to be able to get your mouth to the victim's mouth. The best position for the victim's mouth is straight up (although you do whatever it takes to get air to the victim, including tilting her head to the side). This puts you in the position of leaning in toward the victim.

A jacket BC floats you like a cork above the victim. A back-inflation BC (especially when over-inflated, which you tend to do to get over the victim) wants to push your face in the water.

Make sure your BC is as balanced as you can get it, and don't put in any more air than you have to.

And I said the victim was a "her" for a reason. :)

I guess I can put away the asbestos shield now. :) Needless to say, I was expecting a flame about back inflate BCs.

Thanks for the info. I have been warned about "over-inflating" the BC while in the water. Hopefully, the more I hear it, the better I will remember/apply it.

Thanks again.

Jarhead

I just thought of one more thing that can be practiced before your rescue class.

One excersize involves removing the victim's BC and your BC while giving rescue breaths. Since you have to keep the victims's head above water with one hand, you have to remove the gear with the free hand (which may mean you have to switch hands). Shoulder release buckles may be a "failure point", but if you can team up with a pretty girl wearing a SeaQuest BC, go for it.

Originally posted by Stone
I just thought of one more thing that can be practiced before your rescue class.

One excersize involves removing the victim's BC and your BC while giving rescue breaths. Since you have to keep the victims's head above water with one hand, you have to remove the gear with the free hand (which may mean you have to switch hands). Shoulder release buckles may be a "failure point", but if you can team up with a pretty girl wearing a SeaQuest BC, go for it.

Thanks for the tips Stone. I start my Class tomorrow evening, I have been preparing for a while now, Mentally and physically. It is always good to know about how different pieces of equipment can affect a skill that is being performed!

Thanks again.

Paul
:ghost:

2 weeks after my rescue class ended, I went diving with a group that included 3 other members of my Rescue class. A guy (yes, Stone, a GUY) ran out of air, sailed to the top, & aspirated a small amount of water. We did exactly what we practiced, right down to DAN O2. It was smooth as glass, everyone doing thier part then moving out of the way to allow the next person to do their job. The paramedics responded & he went to a hospital. He was fine. Thank you, NAUI. The class was hard work, but when you have a chance to apply your knowledge, it is all worth while.

In my Rescue Diver class, we took the "victim's" equipment off for towing. His wetsuit provided more than enough buoyancy and the reduction in drag from not having to tow a bulky BC/tank through the water made life a lot easier. When I did my tow, I also took off my BC/tank...other students in the class floated them in.

The moral of the story....only rescue someone wearing a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom