New and hopefully future avid diver from FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigster

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards and have been searching/finding all kinds of useful info off this board. This board has already been really helpful in helping me make up my mind on some gear and just understand how it works sometimes.....lol!

I live in the Tampa Bay area and have been telling myself for years that I'll get certified, but have always put it off. After many trips to the Keys for snorkeling, I told myself last year that I will not make the trip again w/o being ready to dive (very limited on enjoyed snorkeling sites after you've been down there numerous times).

So to make a long story short I start my Naui Scuba classes next month and I can't wait! Hope to meet up with some of you out on the water.

See ya---jason

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you continue to enjoy the board.

Chad

You have been bitten by the diving bug. Now it has reached the brain. You are a diver for life, admit it! Happy diving!!

:ghost:

Welcome to the boards!!

I think Scuba is much easier than snorkeling,
I enjoy it a lot more!!
(in fact, I haven't been snorkeling since I certified)

Your gonna love it!

Let us know how your training goes!!

Hey Jason

After you get certified, be sure to check out the volunteer opportunities at the Florida Aquarium, right in your neck of the woods.

As I understand you can dive in the tanks for cleaning, feeding animals and stuff like that.

You need to go trough a process of orientation first, but even that is valuable.

BoricuaMojao

and a WARM Welcome from ARIZONA

Glad to have you here :balloon:

welcome! see ya around the boards!:)

Kayla:)

I took a trip to the Rainbow River today and now I am stoked to get the courses done. While snorkeling, I saw a couple of groups of divers completing their OW exams.

I tried clearing my mask, which proved to be quite a chore since I can't hold my breath long enough to take my time doing it. I know it'll take practice so I am not overly concerned at this point. I did, however, have trouble clearing my ears. I was able to clear them with some effort, but after repeating this process a few times, I began to feel a strong headache come on. I felt pressure in the upper part of my nose and just above my eyes. It was enough to make me stop "free diving" for the afternoon and resort back to cruising along the surface. Am I doing something wrong to cause this, or is this normal and takes a bit to get used too? I think maybe I was trying to force a "pop" too much, but it seemed the only way. I tried ascending a few feet, but it was still not any easier, and I even tried swallowing/wiggling my jaw. I can only hold my breath for a measly 25 seconds if that, so my attempts were short to say the least. This reminds me of another question....how do you build up the ability to free dive longer?

Thanks-jason

P.S.---sorry for mixing in questions with my introduction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom