Does your LDS support you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brownies Southport Divers in Ft. Lauderdale carries most anything I need and is happy to order anything he doesn't have. I'm happy with them.

Tom

On a 1 to 10 scale, I'd give them about a 6.

(-) Gear is expensive. Example: I spent $600 on TX-100, $150 on TX-40 octo, plus another $40 or so on DIN converter. They generally won't negotiate on price.

(+/-) Advice is OK. I received good advice from them on occasions. On other occasions, they have told me things that are blatantly wrong.

(-) They push gear on me that I don't want because it is what they have in stock.

(+) They are friendly, know my name, and like to talk diving. They are good folks that I like to dive with.

(+) They promote diving by offering decent travel deals and local group diving.

(-) Store is small and has small inventory.

(+) Quick turnaround on gear service.

(+) Good air fills -- I've been to other shops that are notorious for hot fills. These guys do a nice job with fills. Air card (10 fills) = $45.

(+) Wide range of courses offered, although I've never taken a course with them.

ditto what metridium said:

By "support", I assume you mean carry the gear I need, provide competent & timely service, treat me with respect, offer reasonable prices, and behave honorably.

If they did, I wouldn't have to source my gear from all over this hemisphere....

Steven

My LDS caters strictly to OW certs. Doesn't get any more involved than that. They'll try to price anything I enquire about, but I get charged an arm and a leg.

BP/wings, gases...... thats all "techie" - not in their best interest.
Unfortunately, the only dive shop within 2-3 hour drive......

My wife and I spent a good bit of money with our LDS and we got pretty good support from them, at least on the equipment side. We went on 1 trip with them that turned out badly and were not so pleased with how they handled the situation so we started taking our business elsewhere. After the 1st LDS found out they were losing our business they bent over backwards to get us back. Right now all it takes is one phone call and they are ready and willing to get us any equipment we want and do just about anything we ask. They have even taken to coming very close to matching the prices of the online shops for most non-lifesupport gear and even did a custom rush order for us. We are doing more business with them now, but we have made it clear to them that we are keeping our options open. I guess we have a better situation than most because Atlanta has a bunch of dive shops and we can literally be at another shop in 5 minutes. Competition is the key. If you have trouble with your LDS make it known you are taking your business, including education, elsewhere...your troubles might get solved.

I find that you have to make a good connection not only to the dive shop to serve your needs, but also to people who work there.

I had one specific person who works at the LDS who knows me and how I am to be treated. Sometimes new employees rub you the wrong way, pushing the sale rather than establishing a buying/servicing relationship. After a few bad experiences I switched dive shops.

Now I go to an establishment who is well knowledgeable and treats every customer with respect, and is very friendly. Its great. The sad thing is to get my dry suit serviced I have to return to previous shop I went.

:ghost:

Scuba Shack of Rocky Hill, Connecticut is a 10 out of 10.

They know the equipment, service it promptly and provide great support. The instructors can handle everything that PADI offers. In addition, two of the instructors are experienced technical divers who are bringing me along and making sure that I get the proper training.

The owner has added a technical line so that he can source our gear. Even better, his pricing is competitive.

I tried other shops before finding this one. I'll never go back.

Thats right Uncle Pug! I forgot that you had been there too. Seems like you like it as well! :)

Kayla:)

I've got a sinus infection, and will probably have to put off my cert. dives this weekend......... again. :( i'm starting to wonder if i'll ever get to finish!:confused:

Kayla:)

Back
Top Bottom