Funny story but lesson learned *long*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has to be fabricated, scuba cylinders do not float when full and sink when empty, unless your breathing from a balloon.
Although a well written yarn that points out everything not to do!

Refresher course.... great idea. But I also recommend diving with a buddy that has considerably more experience than you do. Sounds like there are some "ropes" for you to learn when it comes to safe buddy diving. Diving is great.... but it's even better when you can come home and talk about it. Glad you made it back alive!

Respectfully,

Fred

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by TOBAGOMAN
"This has to be fabricated, scuba cylinders do not float when full and sink when empty, unless your breathing from a balloon."

I have to agree. In some cases, depending on the type of tank, when full they usually are negatively buoyant and sometime have a tendency to become positively buoyant as they become empty.

Respectfully,

Fred

:crafty: me thinks this should be in the April Fool's Day thread... :eyebrow: We may have a prankster on board..

Oh wait, we should bump this thread up to tomorrow...

Dakker:
Never again will I let anyone dive with me that is improperly equipped. I should have known better, but we were both so excited that I let it go.

Well, Dakker,

Assuming this isn't an April Fool's joke I'm not going to throw the first stone here because I've done things diving that I would rather I never did too....

I think you put your finger on an important point, which is to refuse diving with someone who isn't properly equipped. However, I would suggest that not being properly *prepared* is just as dangerous and from the sounds of your story, you may have had both issues happening.

The tank coming loose isn't the biggest problem I think you mentioned. To me the more serious problem was your buddy's inability to make himself positively buoyant on the surface. You may know this already but I'll say it. The majority of diving accidents happen near or *on* the surface from things just like what you described. Comfort with the gear and comfort with the skills are both essential for safe diving.

I hope you have fun on Sunday but I would suggest that you look for an experienced diver to join you. It's clear that you're willing to learn from your mistakes but it's maybe better with diving to learn first from someone elses experience.

R..

If this WASN"T your WORST Dive, I am afraid to ask what WAS!

BIG question!?!? Was either one of you towing a float with a dive flag on it like is REQUIRED for safety purposes? IF NOT that ALONE is reason to call the dive! How would a boater know you were UW? NOT GOOD

So just to set things straight
1st prob; your buddy has NO BC or a Weight belt. Not equiped to dive safe
Why didn't you call the dive?

2nd Prob; Buddy can not go to any depth stuck on surface

3rd prob; Buddies tank has come off him and is Floating above him attached only by his reg and octo hoses.

4th Prob; masks fogging up no defog
OK this one prob alone I can give ya for not calling the dive on but coupled with probs 1,2,& 3 it should be enough to call the dive

5th prob; swimming through a school of stinging jellyfish with NO wetsuits on

6th prob; blinded by the jelly fish residue on hands
Finally called the dive!

This is WAY TOO many problems and way too far to go before you called the dive. Any safe diver would have called it before you even got your feet wet once you noticed he was not equiped to do the dive SAFE.

If you have a death wish by all means keep diving like you were that day. If you actually want to live PLEASE re-read your OW manual and DO a refresher course and take your buddy with you! I am at least glad to read that you will not dive with someone who not properly equiped. You did learn 1 good lesson that day.

Note to self. If in Florida looking for a diving buddy, pass on the guy with the tank strapped to his back with a skipping rope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom