Getting my 11 y/o into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheGintleman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As part of an upcoming trip to Cozumel, I’m planning to sign my 11 y/o son up for a discovery dive, in the hopes he’ll take to the hobby like I did and be able to build a diving resume much earlier in life than I. He really enjoys swimming, has developed some basic underwater skills such as mask management, and seems to have an interest in marine life.

The catch, however, is that he seems to occasionally freeze when he is afraid or unsure what to do, and while he has an interest in marine life, he has expressed (irrational) fears about fish and coral. I’m pleased to say he recently had a “close encounter” with a fish (I couldn’t tell you what it was, but it wasn’t any bigger than 8” long) and, despite being afraid, told me he pushed through his fear.

My concern is that, even within the restrictions of a discovery dive, I may be playing with fire by putting him in a situation he isn’t mature enough to handle. I’m well aware there are less than reputable operations out there that have no ethical qualms about tossing an inexperienced individual into a situation they aren’t equipped to handle.

To anyone with first or second hand “discovery dive” experience - is this a safe option for my son, or should I wait until I feel he is better able to regulate his emotions and handle complex situations calmly?

As part of an upcoming trip to Cozumel, I’m planning to sign my 11 y/o son up for a discovery dive, in the hopes he’ll take to the hobby like I did and be able to build a diving resume much earlier in life than I. He really enjoys swimming, has developed some basic underwater skills such as mask management, and seems to have an interest in marine life.

The catch, however, is that he seems to occasionally freeze when he is afraid or unsure what to do, and while he has an interest in marine life, he has expressed (irrational) fears about fish and coral. I’m pleased to say he recently had a “close encounter” with a fish (I couldn’t tell you what it was, but it wasn’t any bigger than 8” long) and, despite being afraid, told me he pushed through his fear.

My concern is that, even within the restrictions of a discovery dive, I may be playing with fire by putting him in a situation he isn’t mature enough to handle. I’m well aware there are less than reputable operations out there that have no ethical qualms about tossing an inexperienced individual into a situation they aren’t equipped to handle.

To anyone with first or second hand “discovery dive” experience - is this a safe option for my son, or should I wait until I feel he is better able to regulate his emotions and handle complex situations calmly?
Don't schedule the discovery dive. Snorkel with him. If he gets into it, which is very likely, and you can see he's not freaking out, you can ask him if he wants you to sign him up.

I strongly encourage you to take him snorkeling. "Freezing up" can kill him in 3 seconds if he bolts for the surface from 8 feet. Having characteristics that show he loses control in stressful situations should 100% preclude him from compressed air. 11 years old is very young, a year of snorkeling and he may be completely different.

In my opinion, it is very important that a young child demonstrate considerable freediving/snorkeling skills.. like being able to comfortable dive to 12-15 ft, equalize easily and then hang out at depth, swimming in reasonable trim for 10 seconds or so, and then making a slow controlled ascent. If the young child can not or will not do that, and do it comfortably, then they have no business trying scuba at a super young age.

I know there are adults who can't do that, but I think that to risk the life of a young child with compressed air, they should be UNUSUALLY adept at being in the water - otherwise, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

none of my business but imho, 11 yrs old is too young to be diving. just my opinion.

as an instructor i was involved in some pool sessions where young kids were exposed to scuba, but refused to teach anyone that young.

Don't schedule the discovery dive. Snorkel with him. If he gets into it, which is very likely, and you can see he's not freaking out, you can ask him if he wants you to sign him up.
I agree that he should be very comfortable swimming and snorkeling in open water first (Cozumel is great for that). After that, really *he* should be the one who wants to try scuba after that.

I would not push him -- scuba is great, but there are important things to learn and the dive student should be eager to learn them (not reluctant or averse to the idea). I know parents sometimes need to push some things, but to me recreational activities that can have life-or-death situations are not something to force a child into.

My son pushed for both of us to get certified when he was 13, but at that point he was a very good swimmer (formal lessons, Boy Scouts, etc.) and had loved snorkeling since he was 5. One of his motivators for wanting to dive was us doing snorkeling tours by boat in Cozumel that visit Columbia, Palancar & Cielo, where he saw scuba divers below us and he wished he could get closer to the fish - so that could be an idea for you after he is comfortable with shore snorkeling.

Once the OP's son is comfortable snorkeling and wants to try scuba, I'd highly recommend a Discovery Dive with Jose at Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel -- he's great with new divers!

Did he "push through his fear" because you're a diver and he is looking for your approval?

I agree with @lowwall. Don't schedule anything. That's you planning. Not him. Snorkel with him. If he wants to try diving, he will ask. If he doesn't ask, don't push. It can't come from you. And if he does want to try a discovery dive, you can't be there for any part of it. All of it has to come from him.

I speak from experience as someone who has overcome a lifelong fear.

That doesn't mean you can't go diving. And you should. I'm sure there are activities you can safely engage him in while you dive.

At that age kids can be so different - some totally ready and able to dive, many not.

I wholeheartedly agree about snorkeling. And not just because it's a skill-building stepping stone towards diving - snorkeling is awesome in itself!

Another thing to try is pool diving. He should do a bunch of try-dives in a pool, building some skills and having lots of fun swimming underwater in a warm, clear, safe, closed environment before going into the ocean.

Maybe an aquarium visit to meet lots of fish without being trapped in their world.

Thank you to everyone for the response. Admittedly, I knew deep down the consensus here was the answer, but I suppose I hoped I was being overly cautious as a parent.

He has been snorkeling at the surface for a few years now, but needs to work on achieving depth, equalizing, etc. We’ll start there and, as mentioned, proceed slowly with scuba when we both feel he is ready to handle the complexities.

Thank you to everyone for the response. Admittedly, I knew deep down the consensus here was the answer, but I suppose I hoped I was being overly cautious as a parent.

He has been snorkeling at the surface for a few years now, but needs to work on achieving depth, equalizing, etc. We’ll start there and, as mentioned, proceed slowly with scuba when we both feel he is ready to handle the complexities.
He will probably enjoy that more anyway. You can always make it more challenging, like dropping his fins (and eventually the mask and snorkel to) 10-15 feet down and show him how easy it is to swim down, put fins and mask on and clear mask - all on one breath, Those kinds of skills practice are extremely valuable at building the confidence and underwater abilities. Once he can bang that stuff out without a thought of stress, blowing bubbles will be easy for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom