Do you still log your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive

Reaction score
I was wondering if there comes a time when you stop logging your dives and just dive? I only have 9 logged dives and can't wait to log my next dives. I talked with my brother who was certified in the 1970's and he said he doesn't keep a log. Just wondering if you experienced divers still log.

There have been a couple of threads about this -- have a look at this one and this one. Some people enjoy logging and keep detailed records of all their dives, some people log their dives for professional reasons, and some people just dive.

I like to keep a record of the things I've seen and done. Looking through my (very untidy) notes brings back all sorts of memories. Sometimes I can't remember anything about a dive, especially when I've done several in a weekend, but a few words from my log book can trigger a vivid replay of the highlights (and lowlights). Plus it's useful to know when I first used each piece of gear, what the water temperature was at particular site, what the currents were like and so on.

Zept

Always have, still do, always will.

Been diving for 12 years and still keep a log. I am religious about it. As soon as we are back on shore I am at least writing down what I saw, how we dove (drift, along a wall, swim throughs), anything I may want to remember. I also record how many photos I took and of what.

At the end of the day then I log depth, time, ect

Then when I am home I download the computer, retype my notes onto the computer log pages and add photos in.

My husband wants to keep log, or at least he says he does, but need to be pushed to do so.

Originally posted by GP
Yep...I log em' all. :)

My first log book, I put in what I though was a water proof bag. It wasn't. Well the ocean being what it is--wet--the log book got soaked.

Now the pages are all stuck together.:(

Now that I have finished my Rescue Diver Class and have intended to move on to work on my dive master , I have found that logging your dives and documenting what you have done in training is very helpful for those dives when you want to practice your skills. Also If you decide to move on in your training, Instructors will look at your dive book for proficiency.

My2$$

I lost my first logbook on a trip and never replaced it and joined the ranks of the lazy. I wish I had continued to keep a log book because I can't remember many of the details of my dive trips.

I actually am planning to reform now that computer log books are available.

My advice to those just starting their diving adventure...log it and you will enjoy rereading old dives...expecially when you start revisisting favorite dive locations and can't remember which reefs you were on last visit.

Back
Top Bottom