Comfybite and DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riddler

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a comfybite, but I do have a seacure, and I've gotten used to it. It definitely helps keep my jaw from getting cramped on rec dives.

How do custom mouthpieces fit into the DIR philosophy? I know the primary with long hose is passed. For me, that would also mean the reg with the custom mouthpiece. In a difficult situation, do I really want to pass an uncomfortable mouthpiece to someone who's OOA? Seems to me that might increase the risk (however slightly) of them sucking water on their first inhale.

Any thoughts/opinions?

riddler:
...do I really want to pass an uncomfortable mouthpiece to someone who's OOA? Seems to me that might increase the risk (however slightly) of them sucking water on their first inhale.
An excellent example of answering your own question. That's not the time to be increasing task-loading.

riddler:
Well, I don't have a comfybite, but I do have a seacure, and I've gotten used to it. It definitely helps keep my jaw from getting cramped on rec dives.

How do custom mouthpieces fit into the DIR philosophy? I know the primary with long hose is passed. For me, that would also mean the reg with the custom mouthpiece. In a difficult situation, do I really want to pass an uncomfortable mouthpiece to someone who's OOA? Seems to me that might increase the risk (however slightly) of them sucking water on their first inhale.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Kind of a toss up
If they are stupid enough to run out of gas they should damm well put with what i give them

vs

Do i want an even more panicked diver on my hose!

More than the fact they may suck in some water i think the real problem would be that some moulded mouthpieces extend a long way back and you could end up with triggering a gag reflex.

I have switched from moulded mouth piece to the standard Apeks ones, for the first few dives i spent the whole time thinking what a pos it was and how it rubbed my palate, but now i dont notice it at all and find it 'nearly as comfy"

There is no problem with molded mouthpieces so long as they are not a hinderance to quick and easy access, and so long as they work well when breathed from by the donee. I use them on all of my gear, and I practice donating gas on a regular basis.

Custom mouthpieces are NOT DIR. They can cause you to gag, not a good thing if you are OOA or have O2 toxed. It was made VERY clear to our class several times no customs. I was even told to remove the little flap on the Apex mouthpiece ...

Mark

mweitz:
Custom mouthpieces are NOT DIR. They can cause you to gag, not a good thing if you are OOA or have O2 toxed. It was made VERY clear to our class several times no customs. I was even told to remove the little flap on the Apex mouthpiece ...

Mark

Hmmm ... I've heard it differently.

The way it was explained to me, the gag reflex concern affects SeaCure mouthpieces, because they extend all the way back to your rear molars. On someone with a smaller mouth, they could extend back far enough to create the gag reflex. They are not DIR, and are not recommended for use with a long hose. But you can eliminate the problem by trimming them back about 1/2 inch or so. They still won't be DIR though, because they're molded to fit a particular mouth (yours) and will still make an OOA exchange less efficient than it should be.

The Comfo-Bite mouthpieces are a different situation. They do not extend back to where they'd create a gag reflex. And they are not customized to a specific bite. Therefore they won't present the problems during an OOA exchange that you'd get with the SeaCure. The "flap" you refer to simply helps hold the mouthpiece in without the need to chomp down on it. I use them on all of my regs, and went through DIR-F with them on my reg. Neither my DIR-F instructor, nor anyone I know associated with GUE seems to think they're a problem. Nor have they ever presented a problem with OOA exchanges, which I practice regularly with an assortment of divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was made very clear to me that I should cut out the middle part of my Comfo-Bite MP. I just can't remember the exact reasoning. Of course we had different fundies instructors. You can check with my instructor though. I think you are in communication with him.

Mark

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... I've heard it differently.

The way it was explained to me, the gag reflex concern affects SeaCure mouthpieces, because they extend all the way back to your rear molars. On someone with a smaller mouth, they could extend back far enough to create the gag reflex. They are not DIR, and are not recommended for use with a long hose. But you can eliminate the problem by trimming them back about 1/2 inch or so. They still won't be DIR though, because they're molded to fit a particular mouth (yours) and will still make an OOA exchange less efficient than it should be.

The Comfo-Bite mouthpieces are a different situation. They do not extend back to where they'd create a gag reflex. And they are not customized to a specific bite. Therefore they won't present the problems during an OOA exchange that you'd get with the SeaCure. The "flap" you refer to simply helps hold the mouthpiece in without the need to chomp down on it. I use them on all of my regs, and went through DIR-F with them on my reg. Neither my DIR-F instructor, nor anyone I know associated with GUE seems to think they're a problem. Nor have they ever presented a problem with OOA exchanges, which I practice regularly with an assortment of divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The palate strap on the Comfobites could hinder or prevent getting a seal on an unconscious/distressed diver. The Scubapro mouthpieces, which I find similar in comfort, do not have that feature, so you would be able to pry apart the flaps and press the reg direct onto the victim's mouth.

Albion:
Kind of a toss up
If they are stupid enough to run out of gas they should damm well put with what i give them

Interesting attitude. Ever hear of mechanical failure?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom