Weight pockets on a BP/W???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am putting together a BP/W set-up. My question now is:

Do I get the pockets with dumpable weights that goes on the harness or should I wear a belt? Which is DIR?

What makes more sense?

I am just looking for the voice of experience on this before dropping $100 or so on something that doesn't work any better than the belt I already have.

Thanks,

Don

DivingCRNA:

Do I get the pockets with dumpable weights that goes on the harness or should I wear a belt? Which is DIR?

What makes more sense?

I am just looking for the voice of experience on this before dropping $100 or so on something that doesn't work any better than the belt I already have.

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don,

I wear a belt, with pouches from XsScuba. My plate weighs ~14 lbs and I wear ~10-12 lbs on my waist.

The belts helps me with trim
The belt is easy to adjust for different tanks
Although I never have ditched weight, with the pouches I have option of dropping 2 or 3 lbs at a time if I ever feel the need.
Some times we don in the water. With all my weight on the plate it's hard to get "under" the rig.

My wing needs to be able to float my rig at the surface. If all my weight was attached to my rig I'd need a bigger wing.

Regards,

Tobin

yeah, i used to wear a belt until i started diving steel tanks, and don't need
any anymore, other than my aluminum plate

i also have two Dive Rite weight pockets which go on the top tank strap, back
from even further when i had to spread my weight top and bottom. i kept
them around, and they come in handy every once in a while when i have
to dive aluminum tanks. instead of a belt, i now use the pockets (2 lbs each)
and it works well.

(also they are useful for keeping car keys, etc. during the dive)

DivingCRNA:

What makes more sense?

If I recall correctly (it's hard to keep track) the pull-handle pockets (e.g. Halcyon ACB20) are currently out of fashion with the DIR folks, though they've been "in" in the past; belts are preferred at the moment.

Quite a few of us who are not subject to DIR inspections use some flavor of add-on trim pockets to add some weight -- though they do consume some of the waist belt portion of the harness, they're about $8 per side and are (at least theoretically) dumpable if necessary. They do have less capacity than a belt; if you need more than 5 pounds a side, you'll need a belt or a fancy weightable plate like Tobin's or a steel tank or...

I currently use the XS scuba pockets (shown in the link above). My DIR-F instructor actually recommended them, so don't worry about any "inspections". You can put two on each cam band (one on each side, close to the plate) top and bottom. You can also put one on the left side just in front of the D-ring (This one can be easly reached to ditch weight if necessary.) The right side being for the light. You can also move the weight around to adjust your trim. I did have the ACB20 and found that it put to much weight down low and in front of me.

I use the XS Scuba pockets - 2 on the lower camband, one on left and right side of waist. You can still fit a slim canister there on the right (weight goes between canister and backplate - that's how I dive it), but it's not optimal. Very low profile.

I bought a set and liked them that much I became a dealer and now carry them.

DivingCRNA:

What makes more sense?

I bought a great harness system from DUI, it cost me around $75...it's the best of both worlds. The Dive Rite weight pouches that I had just seemed too bulky.

My first question would be....how much weight do you need???

Also, what do you dive??? Just wet suit....do a dry suit???

It all depends. I do a bp & w and I use just the smaller of the weight pouches placed on the web belt way back right against the plate and they work fine for me. But I dont need a lot of weight and I dont ever dive in a dry suit.

If that will work for you.....go buy some Zeigle small weight pouches as they are half the price of DiveRite.

onfloat:
I currently use the XS scuba pockets (shown in the link above). My DIR-F instructor actually recommended them, so don't worry about any "inspections". You can put two on each cam band (one on each side, close to the plate) top and bottom. You can also put one on the left side just in front of the D-ring (This one can be easly reached to ditch weight if necessary.)

Onfloat, are you diving wet or dry; how much weight where? I tried the pockets on the camband and kept getting rolled over.

DivingCRNA:

What makes more sense?

Thanks,

Don

Unless we are talking drysuits, you are probably wearing too much weight. That said, the goal is a balanced rig and streamlining. There are other issues, these are just the two most pertinent. Your wing needs to hold up your rig itself. For open water dives, there is no need for a large wing. So, be careful not to add too much weight to the rig. You want ditchable weight to the extent you could not otherwise swim up the weight of your rig. This will need to be on a belt or attached to your harness with the little dump pockets. I personally don't like the pocket. They get in the way of a clean harness. I don't know if these were ever truly DIR, but Halcyon makes them due to the demand. With the amount of weight you say you need, you may want some on tank cam bands, etc. to properly positions yourself However, you definately want some to be ditcable, my preference would be on a belt.

Back
Top Bottom