With limited space what is most important to travel with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be able to fit both sets of gear in just 1 suitcase IF you pack it RIGHT.
I dive but GF doesn't but she does snorkel so on trips we have 2 sets of: masks, fins, snorkels, + my boots, 2 pairs of gloves (one w/webbing one regular), hood, log book, save a dive kit (a small tackle box filled w/all sorts of goodies), wetsuit, lights, knife, saftey sausage, + an extra spare mask and snorkel and then we still fit some clothes (usually socks, t-shirts & underwear wrapped up around the gear to keep it from being banged around too much) and there is other stuff in there as well.
All of that is in 1 large rolling suitcase. I carry on my Reg bag with my reg, comp, octo, and gagues, + a light jacket and a magizine and/or book for reading on the flight (I don't trust the airlines w/my reg bag so it never leaves my sight).
We travel with 2 checked bags and 2 carry on bags, the limit the airlines let you have (1 checked & 1 carry on each) without paying extra for more luggage.
If you have your OWN gear there is NO reason to rent inferior or beat up gear (for all the reason already said) pull out your suitcases a day or so early and try different ways of arranging your gear so you can get ALL the dive gear plus some clothes in 1 suitcase. It can be done it just takes a little practice and rearranging. Use the clothes to fit into the small areas between your gear or wrap around the delicate stuff (hence why I use the socks, t-shirts, underwear, and towels it dosen't really matter if they get all wrinkled) Try putting the fins lying flat against the sides (not the sides you open but the sides that frame out the bag), top and bottom of the bag and then fill in the center of the bag using clothes to protect and keep gear from shifting.
Just make sure it is a ROLLING suitcase cuz it does get heavy! Also make sure it is NOT a dive bag (ya know the bag has a dive flags on it or has the Name of a dive co. on it) it is just way too easy for someone to see it and realize that it contains expensive dive gear in it and POOF it disappears.
just My $0.02
for what it is worth

Depending on where you go, If it isn't an international trip, why don't you mail your all burdens to the reserved hotel or someplace you can pick it up. I saw some friends mailed their gears to the travel site.

If I'm doing diving and bumming around only, I take all my stuff. If I'm tacking a dive trip onto a work trip (always international, always have to dress professionally), I leave behind my BC and all my "extras" like the SAD kit, dive lights/batteries, logbook (take only c-cards and some blank sheets), so that my luggage meets the weight restrictions allowed for most international flights (which only go by the number of pieces rule outbound from the US). I might even leave my fins behind if I've checked that the dive op I'm using has decent fins (though I'm pretty fond of my split fins, too).

So for minimal packing I take: c-cards, comp, regulator, mask, booties, fins (usually), wetsuit.

DougK:
Got a question for the board about packing smart for travel.

My wife and like to travel and dive. For us the trip in not totally about diving we sometimes only dive 3-4 days out of 7-9, with the other days devoted to either beach time or sightseeing. At this point we own (2 sets of) mask, snorkel, boots & fins. We have been looking to buy some other gear like BC and reg, however due to the size of our fins/boots this take almost a sperate bag just for diving.

Here is my question: Would it be smarter to travel with reg and maybe BC and rent fins on site to save space in the limited bags the airline allows?

What do you folks that travel a lot find the best use of space?

You are concerned about the bulk and weight of dive gear for two, many others have already suggested that you bring varying amounts of gear. These suggestions are good, but you might look at the problem from a different angle.

When you pack your dive gear take ONLY exactly what you will need when you get in the water, and NOTHING else. This approach is a little risky, if you have a problem you will not have any spare gear, tools, or gizmos. If you suffer a loss, or gear is broken you will be at the mercy of others for help, or you will need to rent or buy a fix. This method will cut down on the gear in your luggage, but dive gear does not break that often. You might choose not to take a large knife, but rather get a small "Z" knife or line cutter. Put batteries in your computer before you leave, and check all of your gear very carefully. Fix any problems now, anything marginal should get your attention before you step onto the plane. No save a dive kit, no extra anything.

You might not choose this approach, I am just putting it out there as one possible option.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom