A few questions: Weight & Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rds4640

Contributor
Reaction score
First question. Are the ACB pockets considered DIR for single tank REC diving. I just tryed them out and really liked them. They kept my trim perfect and are not in the way.

Next, what is the reasoning behinf NOT putting the mask strap under the hood? Again, this is for single tank REC diving.

rstark:
First question. Are the ACB pockets considered DIR for single tank REC diving. I just tryed them out and really liked them. They kept my trim perfect and are not in the way.

Next, what is the reasoning behinf NOT putting the mask strap under the hood? Again, this is for single tank REC diving.

Hey rstark -

I say that if you like them and they work for you, who cares what anyone else thinks? Halcyon makes them, so it'd beg to reason that they are in fact DIR. It isn't like we've got divers going around from lake to lake handing out demerits for using non-DIR gear. :wink:

I have wondered that myself from time to time as I prefer the strap inside my hood whe I use my wetsuit hood. I can't put it inside on my drysuit hood, the hood is too tight to my head with my drygloves on to do it.

I'd guess that wearing the strap on the outside keeps the hood closer to the head, thus keeping the water movement to a minimum, which keeps the water that is there warmer.

Of course, warm is a relative term. I see you're from California. Water that you consider "freezing" might be warm enough for me to break out with the wetsuit and give the drysuit a rest. :D

Go with what works for you. As long as you're being safe, I don't think anyone can fault you for using ACBs or putting your mask strap inside your hood. :D

personally, (no DIR experience) I like the mask outside the hood simply because it makes it easier to remove the mask. Perhaps it gets a little foggy, or perhaps I blow a big green thing into it :) ... nice to be able to remove the mask and clean it without cracking the "seal" on my hood.

Derek S:
Hey rstark -

I say that if you like them and they work for you, who cares what anyone else thinks? Halcyon makes them, so it'd beg to reason that they are in fact DIR. It isn't like we've got divers going around from lake to lake handing out demerits for using non-DIR gear. :wink:

If he's asking what is DIR, then obviously he cares "what anyone else thinks", doesn't he?

Actually, ACB's are not DIR, as are a number of items that Halcyon makes and sell in their retail stores. Extreme Exposure sells split fins. Definatly NOT DIR.

I'm not too concerned. The reason I want to know what the DIR croud thinks is because they think through many small details and I would like to know their reasoning to see if it applies to me. As of right now I can't see why it would be a bad idea and I'm just looking for other opinions as to why it is not DIR.

I've no idea about ACBs, but as for the hood thingy I prefer my strap inside the hood because I think it helps prevent accidental loss of the mask and removes a potential snag point.

Taipeidiver:
I've no idea about ACBs, but as for the hood thingy I prefer my strap inside the hood because I think it helps prevent accidental loss of the mask and removes a potential snag point.

The question wasn't what someone preferred but if something was DIR or not. Simple as that.

ABC pockets - not DIR: ABC pockets rely on plastic buckles, so they can't be DIR. Don't want to repeate about quick release plastic stuff because it has been discussed here many times.

Mask strap inside hood - not DIR: If you have to replace mask for any reason you'll have to remove a hood also, which
a) unnecessary complicates complete operation
b) endangers your thermal protection in especially sensitive area

detroit diver:
If he's asking what is DIR, then obviously he cares "what anyone else thinks", doesn't he?

If that's true, then he shouldn't be asking us "experts" and going right to the source. I've yet to meet a GUE instructor that hasn't gone out of their way to help someone with any questions they might have.

detroit diver:
Actually, ACB's are not DIR, as are a number of items that Halcyon makes and sell in their retail stores. Extreme Exposure sells split fins. Definatly NOT DIR.

Fair enough. Split fins don't have the Halcyon logo on them though. Kinda makes you wonder how much of DIR has become a marketing ploy as much as it is about a diving philosophy. I mean, am I gonna die if I use Photon Torpedos instead of actual Scout lights?
rolleyes.gif

*Disclaimer - I believe in the DIR philosophy 100%, but this is getting out of hand at times.

I guess we should just shut this entire board down then if everyone should go right to the source, huh?

In fact, there are a few GUE instructors that post on this forum. If one sees this, then they may be inclined to answer the question.

As for Halcyon logo'ing, it's pure dollars and cents. They don't make enough DIR products for the small DIR market, so they have to make additional products to be profitable. It's no ploy, it economics.

No one really cares what kind of backup light you wear. You're obviously not DIR and don't care to be, so why do you care what we think?

edit: I just read your disclaimer. doesn't seem to match you post.

If it fits the criterion, the name brand is irrelevant. I have two backups, and neither of them are Halcyon brand, but they're definately DIR.

rstark-

I believe the reasoning behind the ACB pockets not being DIR is in part because of the plastic buckle releases. DIR does not approve of plastic clips of any kind, due the the potential to fail. With an integrated weight pocket, the failure of that buckle and the loss of that pocket could lead to some really nasty consequences.

Derek S:
If that's true, then he shouldn't be asking us "experts" and going right to the source. I've yet to meet a GUE instructor that hasn't gone out of their way to help someone with any questions they might have.

Fair enough. Split fins don't have the Halcyon logo on them though. Kinda makes you wonder how much of DIR has become a marketing ploy as much as it is about a diving philosophy. I mean, am I gonna die if I use Photon Torpedos instead of actual Scout lights?
rolleyes.gif

*Disclaimer - I believe in the DIR philosophy 100%, but this is getting out of hand at times.

rstark:

I have used the acb pockets and liked them.
While doing Fundamentals I took them off and wore a weight belt. My instructor commented on the ACB's as an option. I think you would get different answers from different instructors.
In trying to get a ballanced rig, I opted to add a weighted STA rather than a weight belt or acb's.

The only issue I saw with the ACB is you have to un-thread it to put on a can light. Kind of a PIA. And your team may not be familiar with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom