Speigel Grove Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hoping to see some of the Speigel Grove in late May. I have my AOW, but all of my dives have been in the Bahamas. While I have experienced some strong surge and deeper wreck dives, I have not experienced much current or even done a drift dive (Feb '06). My buddy has only a handful of ocean dives under his weight belt and most of them no deeper than 50' with excellent conditions. I hope to dive the Speigel Grove on the third day of diving, but that all depends on the dive op.

I have heard that while diving the "Grove" one can experience some pretty good current. Any comments or cautions would be appreciated.

Puck:
Hoping to see some of the Speigel Grove in late May. I have my AOW, but all of my dives have been in the Bahamas. While I have experienced some strong surge and deeper wreck dives, I have not experienced much current or even done a drift dive (Feb '06). My buddy has only a handful of ocean dives under his weight belt and most of them no deeper than 50' with excellent conditions. I hope to dive the Speigel Grove on the third day of diving, but that all depends on the dive op.

I have heard that while diving the "Grove" one can experience some pretty good current. Any comments or cautions would be appreciated.

I dove it last summer, but when I dove it was like PERFECT conditions (ocean was like glass... 100+ viz). I could read the words "Ocean Divers" (which btw is a great operation to use) on the side of the dive boat at 60ft down. I dove it and the Duane and seem to remember a pretty strong current while on the line (more so on the Duane, but maybe it was only on the Duane?). Either way, on both ships once I got closer to the ship, it blocked a lot of it.

The currents can kick up on any of the deeper wrecks in Key Largo - when there's no current they are really nice dives - but deep - you will be around 100', no real need to go down to the sand which can be 130', and there is stuff usually shallower (top of SG is around 50' I think, the Duane also has much of its structure shallower than 100').

The dive operator will let you know what the currents will be like for the dive and it is unlikely to dive on the wreck if they are ripping. If there is some current, let the operator know your experience and they'll give you some hints (e.g. where to go/not go, where the currents are and how to shield yourself from it) or also they may recommend you not do the dive if they think the conditions are tough- the conditions can change each day/each hour, so you have to be flexible - it may not be wise to do the dive on a particular day - but with that in mind, there are lots of other nice dive sites around.....

As you will be descending/ascending down the line a little current is not so bad

I'm a beginner diver (16 dives). I hired a "guide". She was really a "Master Instructor" from Dual Porpoise. They are good operators too. The Spiegel and Duane were wonderful dives.

Just one suggestion:

If it has been a little while since your last dive (like more than a couple months) then try to do a dive (or two) before you dive the Grove. I only suggest that because if you and your buddy are not familiar ( = confortable) with current, and not confortable at depth, then it could be a little unnerving. Add in the fact that the first dive in a while usually has a bit of anxiety, and it is a recipe for stress.

I am not saying that it will kill you, but a nervous diver tends to suck air, and a nervous diver will be overly focused on their gear and gauges and remembering details etc, rather than enjoying the dive. On a deeper dive like the Grove, you really hate to be too focused on everything basic (because you haven't dove in a while) and you hate to have a short bottom time.

I have dove the Grove three separate times, and each was good. The first time was just after completely AOW. It was our first dive that deep without an Instructor, and our first dive with a ripping current. However we had been diving earlier that week, so we were comfortable in the water and comfortable with our gear. Still, the dive was rather shorter than we would have liked because of the stresses mentioned above.

However, during our descent, when the deck (and especially the anchor chain) came into view, it was breathtaking (for us).

There are places on the Grove that are not real deep, but you may be at the mercy of the boat Captain, and whatever buoy is available when you arrive on scene. The ship is large enough that you can't cover it all in several dives, so don't try. Just enjoy whatever section you are on.

FWIW

Wristshot

the Grove is a bunch of dives in one. you can stay as shallow as you like.

stick to the anchor line if there is any current. you will land on the wreck if you
follow it down. it's on its side, so you can chose to descend further along the
side, or just stay up top (i believe there are three lines, aft, fore, and amidships)

if there is current, go into the current, take a look around, hang on to something,
then return to the anchor line.

if there's no current, then just worry about how deep you want to go

like wristshot said, keep it small. just explore a little of the ship per dive.
don't go too far from your exit point, as the current may pick up quickly.

Excellent information. Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. I can't wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom