Dive flag-Swim with it or anchor it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a dive flag on TX inland waters as infrequently as possible. I found no TX code requirement to display a dive flag. On Corps of Engineers lakes, CE rules require a flag but I don't believe they establish any maximum distance divers can displace from the flag. My experience is the flag in open water tends to attract curious watercraft. I usually anchor the flag close enough to shore to discourage their antics. TX code does regulate boating activity in the vicinity of a dive flag. I've never seen it enforced except in the protected dive area at Lk Travis.

I will usually have someone in the boat following above me with the flag out behind the boat. Now i know not everyone can do this, but it sure keeps the other boats away from you and lets you enjoy the dive more.As we all know not all boaters even know what the flag is let alone what the rules are for it.

If shore diving I hold onto it and tow it with but do not attach to BC due to reasons already mentioned
I also have a buddy follow us in the dingy I hang the dive flag from the actual boat. He follows us around and screams or blows the air horn at boaters getting too close. He even got right in the way of a rather large fast moving Yacht when he though they were too close to us in the semi-shallows (16-25 ft). NOT an option everyone has but on LI Mount Siani harbour there are too many @$$ #*!& boaters flying around to dive without a flag, and someone running interferance! Plus the ride back to the boat holding onto the dingy tow rope is one wild ride!
But whenever we head out to dive I make a sign with a dive flag on it Stating what it means and that ignoring it and getting too close could mean you just killed someone.
I staple it to one of the dock piers in the hopes that maybe 1 or 2 people may read it and at least know to avoid it in the future (hopefully). Or if you know the guys at the harbor maybe you could ask to put up a sign by the office that could stay there all season so more people may learn what it means. Not the best way to educate boaters but it could help
Just my 2 psi

kidspot:
How does towing an innertube handle as far as drag? I picked up a simple foam float with an attached flag because we have a consistent 15-20mph wind and I thought anything larger would make me fight it the whole dive, have you found this to be the case?

Aloha, Tim

Tim,
For where we dive off the coast of Maine, the drag is not bad at all. But then again I'm a realllllly slow diver, so I my not feel a great amount of drag. I guess with that amount of wind the "chop" must be messy.

ScubaNorth:
Only in NE, all the same uses we have for this contraption. As we know in MA the flags are great for "Lobster Fisherman Giant Slalom Events" also. I surely have yet to meet a local boater that knew to keep away unless there are scuba tanks on that there boat.

Hey ScubaNorth,
Talk about boats not staying away, one year when we where shore diving up in York, Maine (Nubble Lighthouse) we actually saw a "tour" boat come into the cove and "damn" near hit a dive flag :11: . You would think the capitan of the boat would know better.
Safe diving and stay warm.

And down here we have had boaters zip between two flags.

Hello,

I usually swim with the flag, it allows other divers to know where I am. I will affix it to a platform or wrecks (small ones) when I am staying close to that area.

Paul

I tie my dive flag off and plan my dive to come back to the same general area. I do alot of lake diving and many times there are trees ect that I will swim around, thru, and under and if dragging a flag, the next thing I know it would be tangled up in some tree.

Oddly enough, a couple weeks ago, had the dive flag set out about 75' from shore, in about 20' of water and was doing a surface interval when someone said, "is that your diveflag that guy is pulling into his boat?" sure enough some guy in a canoe was out there, had the flag in his canoe and hauling up the rest of the line. I scared the heck out of him as I ran into the water shouting at him to "leave my ______ dive flag alone!"

UndrWatrDan:
I tie my dive flag off and plan my dive to come back to the same general area. I do alot of lake diving and many times there are trees ect that I will swim around, thru, and under and if dragging a flag, the next thing I know it would be tangled up in some tree.

Oddly enough, a couple weeks ago, had the dive flag set out about 75' from shore, in about 20' of water and was doing a surface interval when someone said, "is that your diveflag that guy is pulling into his boat?" sure enough some guy in a canoe was out there, had the flag in his canoe and hauling up the rest of the line. I scared the heck out of him as I ran into the water shouting at him to "leave my ______ dive flag alone!"

I'm not sure what I would've done in that situation, but I would be pissed!

Last year I went diving at Beaver Lake in AR and my dive buddy suggested we tow it around; the first time the cord got all tangled up while the second time we tied it off and then moved around. We moved a bit far as we soon heard a boat motor; my divemaster suggested we not do that for fear of a dropped anchor!

LDS suggested we anchor the flag for fear of having a jetski or boat prop pickup the line.

I am thinking more along the lines of anchoring it!

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom