antihistimines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba~dog

Registered
Reaction score
Achooo! I got a mild case of Hayfever that flares about end of June til August. I am beginning my openwater course in a couple of weeks. Should i talk to a doctor about the affects my nondrowsy antihistimine might effect have while diving?

Your doctor may not know much about diving, so you may want to call DAN (Diver's Alert Network) and ask them to refer a doctor in your area that knows about diving or you may be able to just ask someone on the DAN staff. call 1-919-684-8111 or 919-684-4326.

Hi Scuba~dog,

Problem with "nondrowsy" formula antihistimines is that they still make some folks drowsy. You should discuss your diving plans with your allergist/GP to obtain drug recommendations.

The most important step is to try whatever you are taking well in advance of your classes. Monitor yourself closely for drowsiness, or reduced mental or psychomotor performance.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Doc Vikingo is correct. We have said before and will say again, try any medicine, seasickness or hayfever or whatever, prior to your dive vacation and check yourself for alertness and reaction time.

Some people tolerate a given medicine marvelously and others don't. Know which you are before going under the water.

A second point is to recommend considering cortisone nose sprays such as Nasacort AQ, Flonase, Nasonex, etc. They have no drowsiness side effects.

Hayfever sufferers are likely to have more trouble equalizing in hayfever season than otherwise, since the swollen tissues in the nasopharynx include the eustachian tube opening.

If your non-drowsy antihistamine works well for you, great!

If it doesn't, modern medicine offers a bunch of options, so don't give up.

See you underwater,
John Reinertson

My problem is with the itchy eyes. Not so much a runny nose. So it the nasal spray going to help me still?

I have had patients tell me the cortisone nose spray helped their eyes, but I'll be darned if I can explain how.

There are also a couple of decent antihistamine eye drops available, using either azelastine or olpatadine antihistamine.

It's always nice to have a few different optiuons available.

See you underwater, hopefully with clear eyes.

John

Hi scuba~dog,

I suspect that Dr. Reinertson actually means olopatadine, which is found in the ophthalmic preparation Patanol. Azelastine for the eye is found in Optivar.

These medications are reportedly very effective in controlling allergic reactions of the eye, such as itchiness & redness. Side effects are few, but a small percentage of patients do develop headaches, and some even develop signs & symptoms very much like hayfever itself. Again, a trial run is important. You'll want to discuss with your physician duration of use. Under normal circumstances, I don't believe that either olopatadine or azelastine are recommended for long term use on a daily basis. Also, don't mix various eye drops without your doctor's okay.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hope you find relief.

DocVikingo

A question for the medics (just a hypothetical--not looking for medical ADVICE!!!-grin)

If you have heavy allergies and take an effective antihistamine (which doesn't knock you out at depth), are there potential risks should the antihistamine wear off during the dive?

One of the risks of using decongestants is that they may wear off, allowing sinuses to close and creating trapped spaces which can be squeezed.

Would loss of the antihistimine at depth cause a recurrence of the allergy symptoms, or would one have to surface to re-activate the symptoms?

Cheers.

JR

Hi JR,

My guess is that residual antigen/immune response activity would result in recrudescence of signs/symptoms without surfacing for a fresh assault.

In any event, with the plethora of long-acting antihistamine preparations prudent dosing should easily circumvent a personal test of this hypothesis.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom