Whale Meat In Japanese Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickg:
I just found the post interesting because it appears that the whaling industry in Japan is now starting to target a much younger "audience". I would imagine they are hoping to indoctrinate them at a very young age that eating whale meat is quite normal.

Rickg

I doubt there is anything abnormal about eating whales. Whales are mammals just like steers and pigs are mammals. Muslims and orthodox Jews frown on pork while hindus frown on beef. Yet we eat those.

Japan has a whole lot of people to feed, 4 times the population of California in a land area 25% smaller than California. And California is the most populous American state. The Japanese have maximized their development of seafood harvesting to feed their tremendous population. They have had little choice. What further amazes me about the Japanese people is that all their exotic culinary delights taste so good.

When the population of California increases by 4 times, we may also be eating whale meat as well and anything else that moves.

If it tastes good, and we are hungry, it won't take much indoctrination. :)

triton94949:
When the population of California increases by 4 times, we may also be eating whale meat as well and anything else that moves.
Good lord, I can barely wrap my head around the current population of California. Multiplying by four sounds like Soylent Green.

archman:
Good lord, I can barely wrap my head around the current population of California. Multiplying by four sounds like Soylent Green.

In Soilent Green they were eating everything that "stopped moving."

That would be next. Imagine the kosher laws for that?!

I'm not sure the issus is about wether or not whale meat is nutritious or absolutely about the etics of hunting whales either. It's the idea that there has been an international moratorium on whale huntinting and the japanese fishermen are going around that. And the japanese fishing culture doesn't have the best ack record of responsible fiching preactices. I'm not saying the US has the best preactices or Canada, or any of the hundreds of other countries that fish for food either, however the japanese fishermen have a reputation for blatent disregard for responsible fishing preactices and internations fishing laws/recomendations.

yeehawherb:
I'm not sure the issus is about wether or not whale meat is nutritious or absolutely about the etics of hunting whales either. It's the idea that there has been an international moratorium on whale huntinting and the japanese fishermen are going around that. And the japanese fishing culture doesn't have the best ack record of responsible fiching preactices. I'm not saying the US has the best preactices or Canada, or any of the hundreds of other countries that fish for food either, however the japanese fishermen have a reputation for blatent disregard for responsible fishing preactices and internations fishing laws/recomendations.

Actually, the moratorium is non-binding. Norway doesn't respect it either, nor does Iceland. Whether you agree with the moratorium or not, Japan kills 500 whales per year for 'scientific purposes.' What do you prefer they do with the meat?

--- hijack of sorts ---
A bit off-subject, but y'all got me thinking of "What would you not eat?"
Aside from things that just taste nasty (like ducks that eat fish, and vulture & such) and things that are just too tough (like most sea slugs) - I have an emotional aversion to horse, dog, cat, most any marine mammal, bear and monkey. Rat's ok... snake's tasty...
And then there's rutabaga. Who could eat anything with a name like that? Maybe if they'd think of something different, like the new face "Kiwi" brought to the "Chinese Gooseberry."
Rick

I think the point is that they whaes are not being killed for scientific purposes, rather being killed for the reason of ebing put on kids lunch plates for the cultural significance under the guise of being scientific so as to exploit a loophole they've found. That being understood, i would suggest that the whales not be killed in the first place. If the hunting of these whales was actually needed for a scientific purpose and it did serve a greater purpose then there may be a level of understanding, and by all means, eat what's left, don't waste it....

Back
Top Bottom