SCUBA accident in Pool - Scuba Instructor Drowns While Testing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could be health related. I would like to know more details. The headlines make one tend to believe its equipment related. They are to quick to post a news article and should get the facts then post the article.

My condolences to his family and friends. This is just sad, please don't hijack this thread with an argument about extraneous things.

Hard to imagine a heart attack at a pool, but then again the exertion of handling tanks, even at a pool, is significant.

I am sorry for the loss of the seasoned diving instructor.

Thank you Blueboy for the update. It helps all of us to study diving incidents. Thank you again.

(Note: Post edited to remove un-warranted speculation.--Per TOS--R. Davie)

triton94949:
Hard to imagine a heart attack at a pool
Why is that? Heart attacks - the sudden death kind - are equal opportunity killers, just about as likely to hit you in your easy chair or asleep in your bed as during your daily workout.
In fact, the only 38 year old heart attack victim I know personally was a friend of mine who got up from watching TV to answer the door and just dropped dead.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Why is that? Heart attacks - the sudden death kind - are equal opportunity killers, just about as likely to hit you in your easy chair or asleep in your bed as during your daily workout.
In fact, the only 38 year old heart attack victim I know personally was a friend of mine who got up from watching TV to answer the door and just dropped dead.
Rick
And the young and not so young as well as the fit and not so fit can all suffer from them.

MoonWrasse:
And the young and not so young as well as the fit and not so fit can all suffer from them.
Yup. Not counting children with congenital problems, the youngest heart attack patient I've personally treated was a VERY fit 31 year old man. He had a 99% complete blockage of his Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery - that's the main one that supplies blood (and O2) to most of the heart muscle. Because of early access to the 911 system as well as Heart Catheterization technology available these days, he walked out of the hospital 2 days later to continue with his life! Unlike a similar patient I had ~ 16 years ago... a 34 year old man who died because at the time, the only definitive treatment available was bypass surgery and he couldn't live long enough to get to the O.R.

If the cardiac event happens to a person when they're under water (or as someone said, up a ladder) the main readon they do not usually survive is they cannot get to definitive care soon enough. Time = Tissue..... the longer you wait, the longer tissue (brain, heart muscle, whatever) is without oxygen, the more of it dies.

Snowbear:
Yup. Not counting children with congenital problems, the youngest heart attack patient I've personally treated was a VERY fit 31 year old man. He had a 99% complete blockage of his Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery - that's the main one that supplies blood (and O2) to most of the heart muscle. Because of early access to the 911 system as well as Heart Catheterization technology available these days, he walked out of the hospital 2 days later to continue with his life! Unlike a similar patient I had ~ 16 years ago... a 34 year old man who died because at the time, the only definitive treatment available was bypass surgery and he couldn't live long enough to get to the O.R.

If the cardiac event happens to a person when they're under water (or as someone said, up a ladder) the main readon they do not usually survive is they cannot get to definitive care soon enough. Time = Tissue..... the longer you wait, the longer tissue (brain, heart muscle, whatever) is without oxygen, the more of it dies.
Up, the ladder, that was me :)
My thinking was that you would likely fall off, adding head trauma to the mix.
In fact, ladders (and staircases) are pretty darn dangerous things.

Rick Murchison:
Rick

I normally think of heart attack triggers as being due to sudden exertion. But you are probably right, it can happen anytime as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom