How tough are Al tanks versus steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, Big John, you know you're hard to see in that black wet suit below 15 feet.

Dude, my drysuit has these super reflective patches for visibility.

Trouble is, Mr Redneck with a rifle seems something shiny moving below the surface, so what do you think he'd do? :wink:

I guess I forgot to adjust for refraction . . .
Booger !!!!

aquaoren:
Hehe, please remind never to go diving with you in your part of the woods :wink:
Welcome to America :D

Last time I was out there, the group of 6 of us had 5 different guns to pass around and shoot. We must have gone through 1000 rounds that day :wink:

jonnythan:
Trouble is, Mr Redneck with a rifle seems something shiny moving below the surface,
so what do you think he'd do? :wink:

in Jacksonville? throw a surprlus US Army grenade in.

of course, they have to yell "fire in the hole" afterwards, cause that's how
they do it in the movies

then they wait a few minutes... no "boom"

Bubba: Dang it! It done and malfunshoned

Bubba's Daddy: Told ya to plug that big roun' hole in the bottom of the thing!
water prolly got in it and ruin' it!

jonnythan:
Dude, my drysuit has these super reflective patches for visibility.

Trouble is, Mr Redneck with a rifle seems something shiny moving below the surface, so what do you think he'd do? :wink:

I took those reflective patches off my black drysuit. Not because I am worried about Joe Redneck and his 30-06 but because I am more worried about Joe Landlord and his sharp teeth.

And you see more sea life if you are a motionless black hole in the water without reflective patches.

jonnythan:
Welcome to America :D

Last time I was out there, the group of 6 of us had 5 different guns to pass around and shoot. We must have gone through 1000 rounds that day :wink:

A person is much more likely to get shot by a handgun in America than by a 30-06.

I would re-run the test.

triton94949:
A person is much more likely to get shot by a handgun in America than by a 30-06.

I would re-run the test.
Well there was only one handgun in the group... no 30-06's though. A few .22 rifles, a .45 handgun, and some larger caliber rifle.

ScubaSarus:
Aluminum tanks are thicker and steel thiner due to steels higher tensil strength and being less brittle. I can see the bullet hitting the stell and causing a bit of elastic flow cushoining the shot as oppesed to AL not wanting to flow.

Any thought on this or corrections ?

Yes, let me state that the toughness of Aluminum vs. Steel is extremely dependent on the alloy and temper. 1100 Aluminum, for example, will elongate forever. I believe Aluminum tank are made from a 6000 series alloy, and the temper state is one of the work-hardened tempers (2-3 digits). The specific measurement that you want is the Charpy or Izod toughness. (Minor differences between the two; Charpy is more likely the one you want). (And no, Izod test has nothing to do with alligators :D)

The tensile strength of a hardened aluminum alloy can be higher than that of a soft steel (I can quote you alloys), but since I have no idea what alloys are used in tanks, I'll shut up here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom