Noaa Forecasts For The Weekend Of 5/7/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet:
Those forecasts were not iffy at all. They translated "GO DIVING".

Go diving if you live in the garlic capitol of the world and a drive to Monterey is no big deal to you. Anything short of a hurricane is a go diving weekend for you.

I do not care to argue with you.

triton94949:
Go diving if you live in the garlic capitol of the world and a drive to Monterey is no big deal to you. Anything short of a hurricane is a go diving weekend for you.

I live in Sacramento, so a bad diving day costs me a 3-3.5 hour drive in each direction as well as motel costs for usually two nights.

And it sure was a "go diving day!"

triton94949:

I'll go diving if the swell is NW and 8 feet or less, W and 10 feet or less, SE and 12 feet
or less, and any S swell. Wind limits are are a bit more seat of the pants, but I'd stay
probably stay home if it was NW and 30 knots or more. I'd generally go in a S or SE
wind. That's nowhere near a hurricane, even figuratively speaking.

The term "GO DIVING" (caps) comes from one of the local weathercasters (I think Pete
Gittings, now banished to UHF CH 35 in Salinas for some reason, I think) who used to
describe the really nice weekends as "GO DO IT" weekends. A "GO DIVING" weekend
generally means 5' or less swells. That's real flat, and only happens maybe 10-20% of
the time in Monterey.

The nice thing about Monterey is that there are usually places where there's shelter.
There's always the Breakwater and the Barge and Hopkins Deep. Now, if you want
to stay home in 94949 (Novato) and dive your hot tub, that's your business, but when
you start telling folks that a 5' West Swell is "if-fy" or "dicey", you do them a
disservice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom